Canfield Healthcare Center is a nursing home in Youngstown, Ohio. This city has 163,222 people. We gave this facility an overall score of F. This place is about as bad as it gets. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Canfield Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Canfield Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't perform too badly in the area of short-term care. In fact, we awarded it a C for that area, which is among its better scores. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This area is more often than not a useful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Canfield Healthcare Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. Our nursing rating is based on a number of factors. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, where this facility was given an abysmal grade in this area also. We gave it an F for this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care scores. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.22179 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this place also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canfield Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have sustained a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 90.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 18.48 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg0.26 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.2.99 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis3.17 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Fmc- Austintown3.73 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Fmc - Youngstown4.38 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC4.56 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - North Lima5.81 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.6.18 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995