Canfield Healthcare Center is a nursing home in Youngstown, Ohio. This city has 163,222 people. We gave this facility an overall score of F. This place is about as bad as it gets. We were surprised to find that this facility actually received one respectable category score for inspections, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canfield Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Canfield Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Youngstown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received an F for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are believed to be more important for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Given its score in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we assessed. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Canfield Healthcare Center?
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. In computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we assess the amount of time nurses are seeing patients and the levels of training of those nurses. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This statistic is far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, where this facility was given an abysmal grade in this area also. We gave it an F for this category, which is definitely somewhat alarming. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 93.650795 percent of its residents. This is a few points lower than we anticipated but still a decent percentage. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canfield Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 21.39% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 88.91% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canfield Healthcare Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 14 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.29 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 15.94 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 18.48 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg0.26 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.2.99 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis3.17 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Fmc- Austintown3.73 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Fmc - Youngstown4.38 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC4.56 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - North Lima5.81 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.6.18 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995