Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation is in Cleveland, Ohio, which is among the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. Our grading scheme was not kind to this facility, as it received an overall rating of F. In our grading scheme, this is ranked as one of the bottom five rated nursing homes in Cleveland. In a city with more than 40 other facilities, you ought to be able to find a better option. Even though this facility received a single encouraging category score for nursing, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Cleveland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing grade assesses several subcategories, however, the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility received just a D in that category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better features. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated just 73.699425 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third best category is short-term care. However, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared relatively poorly. In our short-term care score, we try to create a sound gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. With its poor grade in this area, we weren't stunned to find this facility provided far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In the last category of government inspections, we gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our inspection category. This proved to be this facility's worst grade. We take a poor score in this category very seriously. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 21.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 88.91% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Candlewood Healthcare and Rehabilitation, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 24 other nursing homes
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 1.8 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Fmc - Huron Dialysis Center0.06 miles away13944 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44112Dialysis Stations: 22 (216) 541-5880
- Community Dialysis Center2.16 miles away11717 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 80 (216) 229-1100
- University Hospitals of Cleveland - Dialysis2.47 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue, Suite 2100 Cleveland Ohio 44106Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 844-1585
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Home Dialysis Program2.53 miles away2429 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive 2nd Floor Cleveland Ohio 44120Dialysis Stations: 5 (216) 421-1013
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic East2.53 miles away2429 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Cleveland Ohio 44104CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (216) 368-0004
- Comunity Dialysis Center2.89 miles away1370 Addison Road Cleveland Ohio 44103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (216) 431-0668
- Davita - Shaker Square Dialysis3.02 miles away12800 Shaker Blvd, Ste. 1 Cleveland Ohio 44120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (216) 491-4867
- Cleveland Clinic Childrens Hosp for Rehabilitation3.26 miles away2801 Martin Luther King Jr Dr Cleveland Ohio 44104Dialysis Stations: 8 (216) 444-6123