Candler Skilled Nursing Unit is a very-small hospital-based facility located in Savannah, Georgia. With an overall grade of A+, this facility is without a doubt a phenomenal facility. We were not surprised to discover that this proved to be the number one rated facility in Savannah. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary report card is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Candler Skilled Nursing Unit
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Savannah senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Savannah, Georgia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Georgia Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Savannah, Georgia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for inspections. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility was given strong marks in the area of short-term care. As a result, it was given one of our highest grades in that category with a grade of A+. Our short-term care grades are critical for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Candler Skilled Nursing Unit?
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing rating weighs a number of datapoints. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Georgia in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this facility also excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. This wrapped up truly elite profile. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We weren't able to find information about this nursing home's vaccination rates. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Candler Skilled Nursing Unit Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Candler Skilled Nursing Unit, 5.74% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Candler Skilled Nursing Unit, 63.38% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Savannah, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Savannah, Georgia has 8 other nursing homes
- Candler HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0 miles away5353 Reynolds Street Savannah Georgia 31412Voluntary non-profit - Other(912) 819-6000
- Memorial Health University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away4700 Waters Avenue Savannah Georgia 31404Voluntary non-profit - Other(912) 350-3691
- Georgia Regional Hosp SavannahPsychiatric 2.12 miles away1915 Eisenhower Drive Savannah Georgia 31416Government - State(912) 356-2045
- St Joseph's Hospital - SavannahAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away11705 Mercy Boulevard Savannah Georgia 31419Voluntary non-profit - Private(912) 819-4100
- Derenne Dialysis0.83 miles away5303 Montgomery St Savannah Georgia 31405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (912) 352-1354
- Williams Street Dialysis1.95 miles away2812 Williams St Savannah Georgia 31404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (912) 354-5005
- Coastal Dialysis Center1.98 miles away1460 East Victory Drive Savannah Georgia 31404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (912) 232-2691
- Dsi Savannah Drayton Dialysis2.61 miles away1020 Drayton Street Savannah Georgia 31401CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (912) 233-6067
- Bayshore Dialysis LLC3.47 miles away540 E Oglethorpe Ave Savannah Georgia 31401Dialysis Stations: 16 (912) 236-3053
- Abercorn Dialysis4.17 miles away11706 Mercy Blvd Bldg 9 Savannah Georgia 31419CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (912) 961-6006
- Fmc West Chatham Dialysis Center6.66 miles away113 Minus Avenue Savannah Georgia 31408Dialysis Stations: 16 (912) 965-0305
- Bio-Medical Applications of Georgia, Inc.7.2 miles away5694a Ogeechee Road Savannah Georgia 31405Dialysis Stations: 19 (912) 232-5554