Canal Whester Care Center is one of a mere three facilities located in Canal Winchester, Ohio. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this appears to be a solid facility. With no above average nursing homes in the city, this proved to be the top nursing home in Canal Winchester. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Canal Whester Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Canal Winchester, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that category, with an A-. This is a much better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable score in our short-term care category. We awarded this facility a better than average grade of B+ in that category. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more important for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Canal Whester Care Center?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is not an impressive total. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this nursing home received an acceptable long-term care grade of C. With our long-term care rating, we look at the amount of services provided by a facility, along with some qualitative statistics. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canal Whester Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canal Whester Care Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canal Whester Care Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canal Whester Care Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canal Whester Care Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canal Whester Care Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canal Whester Care Center, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canal Whester Care Center, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canal Whester Care Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canal Whester Care Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canal Whester Care Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canal Whester Care Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canal Whester Care Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 10.76 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 14.23 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Fairfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.98 miles away401 North Ewing Street Lancaster Ohio 43130Voluntary non-profit - Other(740) 687-8009
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.64 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Fmc Canal Winchester, LLC5.65 miles away1310 Hill Road North Suite 100 Pickerington Ohio 43147Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 751-8660
- Fmc - Liberty Mid-America Dialysis LLC.6.15 miles away2355 South Hamilton Rd Columbus Ohio 43232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 367-1679
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC7.62 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250
- Kidney Center of Columbus South8.91 miles away2046 Lockbourne Rd Columbus Ohio 43207Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 449-7300
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East9.23 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Kidney Center of Bexley9.34 miles away1151 College Ave. Columbus Ohio 43209Dialysis Stations: 15 (614) 231-2200
- Fmc - Central Ohio East9.45 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis9.78 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224