Canal Whester Care Center is one of just a couple facilities located in Canal Winchester, Ohio. Sporting an overall grade of C, this appears to be a solid facility. You can definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this place's report card was is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Canal Whester Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Canal Winchester senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Canal Winchester, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection grade. In fact, its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave it an A-. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Based on this, we had a generally favorable view of this facility's inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this area. Our short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Canal Whester Care Center?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing score. We gave this nursing home a score of D. Our nursing score looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This place offered just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these datapoints to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care, which was a low point for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a grade of just D for long-term care. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is more than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Canal Whester Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Canal Whester Care Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Canal Whester Care Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients which have experienced falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Canal Whester Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Canal Whester Care Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Canal Whester Care Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Canal Whester Care Center, 21.39% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Canal Whester Care Center, 88.91% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Canal Whester Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Canal Whester Care Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Canal Whester Care Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Canal Whester Care Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Canal Whester Care Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 10.76 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 14.23 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Fairfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.98 miles away401 North Ewing Street Lancaster Ohio 43130Voluntary non-profit - Other(740) 687-8009
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.64 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Fmc Canal Winchester, LLC5.65 miles away1310 Hill Road North Suite 100 Pickerington Ohio 43147Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 751-8660
- Fmc - Liberty Mid-America Dialysis LLC.6.15 miles away2355 South Hamilton Rd Columbus Ohio 43232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 367-1679
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC7.62 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250
- Kidney Center of Columbus South8.91 miles away2046 Lockbourne Rd Columbus Ohio 43207Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 449-7300
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East9.23 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Kidney Center of Bexley9.34 miles away1151 College Ave. Columbus Ohio 43209Dialysis Stations: 15 (614) 231-2200
- Fmc - Central Ohio East9.45 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis9.78 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224