Camellia Gardens Care Center is in Pasadena, California, a city with 153,114 people. With an overall score of D, this is a well below average facility. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 15 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Finally, nursing was the only shining light in this nursing home's profile. You can find more information on this category below.
Camellia Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this facility a good overall score, we actually gave it a very strong grade in nursing, where it earned a grade of B+. The nursing rating is based on many factors. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Sadly, this nursing home's second best category was inspections, but even there it received a D. This is still a well below average grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of those deficiencies. This facility had 10 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this place received large government fines in recent years of over $100,000. This generally suggests that a nursing home'sbad track record spanned multiple years.
Does this page answer your questions about Camellia Gardens Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse category was short-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a well below average score. In our short-term care grade, we seek to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this facility provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical nursing home. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care, which proved to be this facility's least impressive category. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in that category. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Camellia Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who have suffered falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 14 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.77 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.13 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.22 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.26 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.26 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.31 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.97 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center5.07 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331