Camellia Gardens Care Center is in Pasadena, California, a city with 153,114 people. Our scoring system was not favorable to this facility, as we gave it an overall score of F. If you are not happy with this facility's relatively poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are six other nursing homes in Pasadena. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Camellia Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Pasadena senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a C for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Our inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This place was assessed 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This means this facility dodged the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. There are many datapoints within this category. Most of the datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is a very low figure. Finally, nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Camellia Gardens Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Incredibly, we gave this nursing home a C for our short-term care rating, which really isn't a bad grade. Our short-term care grade is often employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area is long-term care, which is the final area we assessed. For this category, we awarded this facility a D. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Camellia Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 12.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 2.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 4.69% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 16.1% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 2.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents showing signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 3.31% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 2.34% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 2.34% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Camellia Gardens Care Center, 2.04% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.95 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.84 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis2.77 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.13 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.22 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.26 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.26 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis4.31 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-North Glendale4.97 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Pasadena Foothills Dialysis Center5.07 miles away3722 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 432-4331