Callaway Nursing Home is one of just a couple nursing homes located in Sulphur, Oklahoma. This turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Callaway Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1300 West Lindsey,
Sulphur OK 73086
53.48% estimated occupancy 1
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a favorable score in short-term care. This nursing home received a grade of B+ in this category, which turns out to be one of our more favorable grades. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Callaway Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded them a B in that area, which happens to be one of our better. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 64.377686 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This facility didn't receive favorable inspections in recent years. We had to give it an F in this area. Since this data is compiled by independent government inspectors, we tend to heavily weight a poor performance in this area. This really dragged down this place's overall grade. When a place has this bad of an inspection score, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home had 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed large government fines amounting to more than $100,000. This usually indicates that a facility's poor track record spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Callaway Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Callaway Nursing Home, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Callaway Nursing Home, 4.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Callaway Nursing Home, 3.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Callaway Nursing Home, 14.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Callaway Nursing Home, 24.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Callaway Nursing Home, 3.91% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Callaway Nursing Home, 92.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Callaway Nursing Home, 14.12% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Callaway Nursing Home, 14.93% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Callaway Nursing Home, 1.77 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Callaway Nursing Home, 14.93 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away2220 Iowa Street Chickasha Oklahoma 73018Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 224-2300
- Norman RegionalAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away901 N Porter Norman Oklahoma 73070Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 307-1050
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- Purcell Municipal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away1500 North Green Avenue Purcell Oklahoma 73080Government - Local(405) 527-6524
- Community Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.42 miles away3100 Southwest 89th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159Physician(405) 602-8100
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.48 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Davita - Sooner Dialysis2.56 miles away1561 N Porter Ave Norman Oklahoma 73071CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 329-3830
- Davita - Norman3.8 miles away1818 W Lindsey Bldg B ste104 Norman Oklahoma 73069Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 360-9815
- Davita - Moore Dialysis9.33 miles away620 S. Santa Fe Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 799-2439
- Fkc - Moore9.54 miles away450 N Eastern Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 790-0626
- Fmcna - Southwest Oklahoma City Jv12.09 miles away10301 Greenbriar Pkwy Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 691-3433
- Davita - Cleveland Pd12.56 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912
- Davita - Oklahoma City South14.3 miles away319 Sw 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 634-3708
- Fmcna - South Okc Dx Ctr14.81 miles away5419 S Western Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (405) 636-1570