Callaway Nursing Home is one of just a couple nursing homes located in Sulphur, Oklahoma. This turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong nursing rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Callaway Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our grade in this category. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a favorable score in short-term care. This nursing home received a grade of B in this category, which turns out to be one of our more favorable grades. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Callaway Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities third most favorable category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for residents needing more conventional services associated with activities of daily living. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 58.21596 percent of its patients. This is many points lower than the national average. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning the last category of government inspections, we gave this facility just a D for our inspection category. This proved to be its worst category grade, particularly in light of some of the more impressive grades discussed above. Nevertheless, since this data is compiled by a government inspector, we weight it heavily in our overall grade. One of the most significant factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility had 2 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to resident health or safety. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed significant government fines of over $100,000. This typically means that a bad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Callaway Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Callaway Nursing Home, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Callaway Nursing Home, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Callaway Nursing Home, 3.45% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term patients who had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Callaway Nursing Home, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Callaway Nursing Home, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Callaway Nursing Home, 3.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Callaway Nursing Home, 92.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Callaway Nursing Home, 14.52% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Callaway Nursing Home, 16.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Callaway Nursing Home, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Callaway Nursing Home, 16.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away2220 Iowa Street Chickasha Oklahoma 73018Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 224-2300
- Norman RegionalAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away901 N Porter Norman Oklahoma 73070Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 307-1050
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- Purcell Municipal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away1500 North Green Avenue Purcell Oklahoma 73080Government - Local(405) 527-6524
- Community Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 13.42 miles away3100 Southwest 89th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159Physician(405) 602-8100
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 14.19 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 15.48 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Davita - Sooner Dialysis2.56 miles away1561 N Porter Ave Norman Oklahoma 73071CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 329-3830
- Davita - Norman3.8 miles away1818 W Lindsey Bldg B ste104 Norman Oklahoma 73069Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 360-9815
- Davita - Moore Dialysis9.33 miles away620 S. Santa Fe Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 799-2439
- Fkc - Moore9.54 miles away450 N Eastern Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 790-0626
- Fmcna - Southwest Oklahoma City Jv12.09 miles away10301 Greenbriar Pkwy Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 691-3433
- Davita - Cleveland Pd12.56 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912
- Davita - Oklahoma City South14.3 miles away319 Sw 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 634-3708
- Fmcna - South Okc Dx Ctr14.81 miles away5419 S Western Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (405) 636-1570