Symphony Encore is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. We gave this facility an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 39 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Symphony Encore has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, we didn't have any favorable things to say about this facility's overall score or its category grades. Its best category was short-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Given its score in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this place is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a place has this poor of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This particular facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Does this page answer your questions about Symphony Encore?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating analyzes many subcategories, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care, in which this facility received an abysmal grade in this category as well. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 97.70642 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Symphony Encore Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Symphony Encore, 9.7% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Symphony Encore, 1.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Symphony Encore, 0.12% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Symphony Encore, 23.44% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Symphony Encore, 9.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Symphony Encore, 92.91% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Symphony Encore, 98.04% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Symphony Encore, 14.41% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Symphony Encore, 7.61% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Symphony Encore, 7.61% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- University of Illinois HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away1740 West Taylor St Suite 1400 Chicago Illinois 60612Government - State(312) 996-3900
- John H Stroger Jr HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away1901 W Harrison St Chicago Illinois 60612Government - Local(312) 864-6000
- Rush University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away1653 West Congress Parkway Chicago Illinois 60612Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 942-5000
- Mercy Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away2525 S Michigan Ave Chicago Illinois 60616Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 567-2000
- Norwegian-American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away1044 N Francisco Ave Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 292-8200
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away2233 W Division St Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Church(312) 770-2000
- Sah Dialysis Clinic @26th St0.48 miles away3059 W 26th St Chicago Illinois 60623Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 696-9470
- Davita - Little Village Dialysis0.92 miles away2335 W. Cermak Road Chicago Illinois 60608CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 523-2939
- Davita - West Side1.58 miles away1600 W 13th Street Unit 3 Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 12 (312) 243-9286
- Davita - Lawndale Dialysis1.61 miles away3934 West 24th St Chicago Illinois 60623CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 277-0598
- Fmc - Chicago Westside Dialysis1.83 miles away1340 S. Damen Avenue, Ste. 100 Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 31 (312) 738-2587
- Davita - Brighton Park Dialysis2.33 miles away4737 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60632Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-9026
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Congress Parkway2.45 miles away3410 West Van Buren Street Chicago Illinois 60624CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (773) 722-4245
- Fmc - Bridgeport2.52 miles away825 West 35th Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 890-4330