Symphony Encore is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. We gave this facility an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 81 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2829 South California Blvd,
Chicago IL 60608
78.01% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Symphony Encore has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, we gave this facility some really poor grades. Among them were its F for its short-term care grade. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. With its grade in this area, we were not surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we assessed. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Unfortunately, this nursing home received really poor government inspection reports in recent years, causing us to give them an F for inspections. An F in this category is often a signal that we found some major red flags on its government inspection reports. With facilities that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Does this page answer your questions about Symphony Encore?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating analyzes many subcategories, however, the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care, in which this facility received an abysmal grade in this category as well. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 88.77995 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Symphony Encore Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Symphony Encore, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Symphony Encore, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Symphony Encore, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Symphony Encore, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Symphony Encore, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Symphony Encore, 30.45% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Symphony Encore, 87.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Symphony Encore, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Symphony Encore, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Symphony Encore, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Symphony Encore, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- University of Illinois HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away1740 West Taylor St Suite 1400 Chicago Illinois 60612Government - State(312) 996-3900
- John H Stroger Jr HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away1901 W Harrison St Chicago Illinois 60612Government - Local(312) 864-6000
- Rush University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away1653 West Congress Parkway Chicago Illinois 60612Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 942-5000
- Mercy Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.66 miles away2525 S Michigan Ave Chicago Illinois 60616Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 567-2000
- Norwegian-American HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away1044 N Francisco Ave Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 292-8200
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away2233 W Division St Chicago Illinois 60622Voluntary non-profit - Church(312) 770-2000
- Sah Dialysis Clinic @26th St0.48 miles away3059 W 26th St Chicago Illinois 60623Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 696-9470
- Davita - Little Village Dialysis0.92 miles away2335 W. Cermak Road Chicago Illinois 60608CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 523-2939
- Davita - West Side1.58 miles away1600 W 13th Street Unit 3 Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 12 (312) 243-9286
- Davita - Lawndale Dialysis1.61 miles away3934 West 24th St Chicago Illinois 60623CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 277-0598
- Fmc - Chicago Westside Dialysis1.83 miles away1340 S. Damen Avenue, Ste. 100 Chicago Illinois 60608Dialysis Stations: 31 (312) 738-2587
- Davita - Brighton Park Dialysis2.33 miles away4737 S. California Ave. Chicago Illinois 60632Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-9026
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Congress Parkway2.45 miles away3410 West Van Buren Street Chicago Illinois 60624CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (773) 722-4245
- Fmc - Bridgeport2.52 miles away825 West 35th Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 890-4330