Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton is in Silver Spring, Maryland. This city is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country with has 282,095 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some solid marks. Based on the data we reviewed, there are definitely much worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this nursing home's profile was is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility received a decent overall score, its inspections rating is notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong health inspection report this year, it earned one of our better scores in that area with a B+. Inspection grades are tied to items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 78.34395 percent of its residents. This is a bit less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B-. Our short-term care ratings are probably more meaningful for residents requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
The last area we looked at is nursing. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing grade focuses on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients that had a UTI. UTI's could be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 10.18% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 92.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.17 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.17 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton2.23 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton2.29 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC3.13 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Bma - Bethesda3.73 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Holy Cross Hospital4.26 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook4.92 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Davita - Silver Spring5.49 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961