Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton is in Silver Spring, Maryland. This city is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country with has 282,095 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of B. A score of this caliber requires quality marks in most areas. Based on the data we reviewed, you could do much worse than this place. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Silver Spring senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a solid overall score, this facility also earned a strong inspection grade, which is associated with the facility's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this area. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category generally have very few severe deficiencies. This facility received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's impressive category scores came in the category of long-term care. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with a score of B. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 77.84615 percent of its residents. This is slightly below what we expected but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. We looked at the licensure of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with patients, in calculating our score in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was short-term care, in which we gave it a strong grade of B. This facility really does not have any weak grades. In computing our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is frequently a meaningful measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 11.04% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 90.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels.
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cadia Healthcare - Wheaton, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 4 other nursing homes
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.17 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Us Renal Care - Rockville2.17 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Bma - Wheaton2.23 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton2.29 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC3.13 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Bma - Bethesda3.73 miles away6420 Rockledge Dr Ste 1100 Bethesda Maryland 20817Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 652-2554
- Holy Cross Hospital4.26 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook4.92 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Davita - Silver Spring5.49 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961