Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook is an average-sized nursing home located in Silver Spring, Maryland. We gave this facility an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. This place has a few things working in its favor. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
12325 New Hampshire Avenue,
Silver Spring MD 20904
77.17% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection score. Its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This facility was assessed 12 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. Our long-term care grade focuses on a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 98.84615 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. Although it had 3.16 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was not too bad.
Does this page answer your questions about Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of C. The nursing score considers many datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 3.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in some quality-focused statistics. Specifically, we look at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these datapoints as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth area, we gave this facility a grade of D for the area of short-term care. This was the facility's weakest category rating. Short-term care ratings are important for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its poor grade, we were not shocked to find that this nursing home provided substantially fewer registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 36.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that developed pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 9.93% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 92.59% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cadia Healthcare - Springbrook, 73.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Silver Spring, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Silver Spring, Maryland has 13 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 6.78 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Fmc - Silver Spring1.22 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC1.22 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook1.34 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton2.43 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bma - Wheaton3.22 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307
- Ara - Adelphi4.19 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Holy Cross Hospital4.45 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville4.87 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263