Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville is one of six facilities located in Hyattsville, Maryland. Our scoring system was not favorable to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall score of F. Keep in mind that Hyattsville received a city grade of B-, so should look at other options in the city as well. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our nursing score is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day, which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care rating. This is not an impressive grade. In forming these short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Based on its grade in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is a poor grade. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this facility gave the vaccine to a relatively low 69.11058 percent of its residents, which is a bit of a concern. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients that experienced falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 10.05% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 92.62% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 2.69 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.28 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Us Renal Care - Hyattsville0.11 miles away4920 Lasalle Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 277-0490
- Rai - Chillum-Hyattsville0.51 miles away2426 Chillum Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 927-8808
- Mt. Rainier Dialysis1.02 miles away2303 Varnum Street Mount Rainier Maryland 20712Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 277-5350
- Bma - Northeast Washington1.14 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481
- Fmc - Takoma Park1.55 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- International Dialysis Center LLC1.7 miles away1730 Hamlin St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20018Dialysis Stations: 15 (202) 525-5415
- Universal Dialysis Center1.85 miles away3804 Bladensburg Rd Brentwood Maryland 20722Dialysis Stations: 17 (301) 277-2704
- Davita Washington Center for Aging2.03 miles away2601 18th Street Ne, a Wing Basement Washington District of Columbia 20018Dialysis Stations: 9 (202) 636-7212