Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville is one of four facilities located in Hyattsville, Maryland. With an overall score of C, this looks like a decent nursing home. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Hyattsville, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this place's report card is is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Hyattsville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is a very low figure. Finally, although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this subcategory.
Does this page answer your questions about Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category ended up being short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of C. In calculating our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is often a solid assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this nursing home didn't fare very well. Due to an abysmal grade of F in long-term care, this is this facility's worst grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. After considering the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated a relatively low 80.30303 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients that experienced falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 11.04% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 90.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cadia Healthcare - Hyattsville, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 3 other nursing homes
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 2.69 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.28 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.32 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Us Renal Care - Hyattsville0.11 miles away4920 Lasalle Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 277-0490
- Rai - Chillum-Hyattsville0.51 miles away2426 Chillum Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20782CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 927-8808
- Mt. Rainier Dialysis1.02 miles away2303 Varnum Street Mount Rainier Maryland 20712Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 277-5350
- Bma - Northeast Washington1.14 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481
- Fmc - Takoma Park1.55 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- International Dialysis Center LLC1.7 miles away1730 Hamlin St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20018Dialysis Stations: 15 (202) 525-5415
- Universal Dialysis Center1.85 miles away3804 Bladensburg Rd Brentwood Maryland 20722Dialysis Stations: 17 (301) 277-2704
- Davita Washington Center for Aging2.03 miles away2601 18th Street Ne, a Wing Basement Washington District of Columbia 20018Dialysis Stations: 9 (202) 636-7212