C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey is located in Columbia, South Carolina. This city is one of the largest cities in the country with has 333,497 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A score in this range generally suggests some concerning datapoints. This was not the worse place we looked at, however, we'd still be very reluctant to recommend it. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Columbia senior living options.Get Pricing
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this place a bad overall score, we actually awarded it a fairly respectable grade in the category of inspections, where we gave it a B-. This was better than its other categories. We believe that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Nursing ratings are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third highest category was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. In our short-term care score, we strive to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home was given a B- in this category. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.00272 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 7.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 2.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 19.16% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 32.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 0.87% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 97.31% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 9.51% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 11.77% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 11.77% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In C M Tucker Nursing Care Center / Roddey, 8.84% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Columbia, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Columbia, South Carolina has 9 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Richland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away5 Medical Park Columbia South Carolina 29203Voluntary non-profit - Private(803) 296-2548
- Prisma Health BaptistAcute Care Hospitals 0.97 miles away1330 Taylor at Marion St Columbia South Carolina 29220Voluntary non-profit - Private(803) 296-5678
- Lexington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away2720 Sunset Blvd West Columbia South Carolina 29169Government - Hospital District or Authority(803) 791-2000
- Providence HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away120 Gateway Corporate Blvd Columbia South Carolina 29203Proprietary(803) 256-5300
- Fresenius Medical Care South Columbia0.57 miles away2139 Adams Grove Road Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 779-4073
- Fresenius Medical Care Columbia0.57 miles away2125 Adams Grove Rd Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (803) 779-7511
- Fresenius Medical Care Midtown1.05 miles away150 Park Central Drive Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (803) 771-0107
- Central Columbia Kidney Center1.1 miles away3511 Medical Drive Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 25 (803) 771-0518
- Fresenius Medical Care Columbia Home1.13 miles away121 Park Central Dr Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 2 (803) 799-1266
- North Main Kidney Center1.57 miles away3900 North Main Street Suite A Columbia South Carolina 29203Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 779-1201
- Fmc Meadowlake Dialysis4.54 miles away7631 Wilson Blvd Columbia South Carolina 29203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (803) 754-7377
- Dentsville Kidney Center4.71 miles away201 Columbia Mall Blvd Suite 141 Columbia South Carolina 29223Dialysis Stations: 10 (803) 865-1068