Bywood East Health Care is one of 16 nursing homes in Minneapolis, Minnesota. With an overall grade of C, this is a respectable facility. We wanted to point out that Minneapolis received a city grade of B+, so you may wish to look at other options in the city as well. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its strong nursing rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bywood East Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
3427 Central Avenue Northeast,
Minneapolis MN 55418
81.78% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We gave this facility one of our better scores in nursing, with an A-. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. There are many subcategories included in this area. Most of the subcategories relate to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Long-term care grades are generally used to gauge a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated only 83.171524 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bywood East Health Care?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. In calculating our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is considered to be a solid assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
In the final category of inspections, this nursing home did not fare well. Sadly, it received an F in this category. This ended up really pulling this nursing home's overall score down as we heavily weight this category. For facilities that received this bad of an inspection grade, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 9 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bywood East Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bywood East Health Care, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bywood East Health Care, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bywood East Health Care, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bywood East Health Care, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bywood East Health Care, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bywood East Health Care, 4.16% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bywood East Health Care, 94.15% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bywood East Health Care, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bywood East Health Care, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Bywood East Health Care, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bywood East Health Care, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 15 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5.17 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.13 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita2.83 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- East River Road Dialysis2.9 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton2.92 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita3.84 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit4.15 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis4.32 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis4.48 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita4.5 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847