With over 25 options to choose from having an address in Los Angeles, California, Burlington Convalescent Hospital is one of many nursing homes here. This is a subpar nursing home, with an overall grade of D. While this grade isn't too far off the city grade in Los Angeles which is a C, you still should be able to find a better option. The best thing we can really say about this place is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Burlington Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were down on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a grade of B for our nursing rating. There are many datapoints included in this category. Many of these subcategories relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This score is a more impressive than the facility's overall grade. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Burlington Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Long-term care grades are commonly used to judge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated only 90.30471 percent of its patients for pneumonia. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was short-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this facility a grade of D in that category. Our short-term care grade is often used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To provide quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Based on its grade in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Burlington Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who have had a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility.
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Burlington Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.76 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.32 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program0.7 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- Davita-Wilshire Dialysis Center0.72 miles away1212 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (213) 482-5181
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis0.72 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.0.85 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis0.87 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis0.91 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Avenue Dialysis1.23 miles away1400 S. Grand Avenue, Suite 105 Los Angeles California 90015CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (213) 867-1111
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis1.56 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039