Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center is located in Burke, Virginia, a city with a population of 43,102 people. With an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a great option. This nursing home truly has plenty going for it. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Burke, Virginia Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In addition, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it earned an A-. Our inspection scores are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. Our nursing score analyzes many factors, however, the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, while this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care, turned out to be this facility's weakest category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this category. This was one of just a few weak points on an otherwise impressive profile. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 88.98305 percent of its patients. This is multiple points less than what we expected. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression. High levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Burke Health and Rehabilitation Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- Fort Belvoir Community HospitalAcute Care - Department of Defense 9.04 miles away9300 Dewitt Loop Fort Belvoir Virginia 22060Department of Defense(571) 231-3224
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Sentara Northern Virginia Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.43 miles away2300 Opitz Boulevard Woodbridge Virginia 22191Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 523-1000
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- Novant Health Uva Prince William Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away8700 Sudley Rd Manassas Virginia 20110Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 369-8000
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Reston Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away1850 Town Center Parkway Reston Virginia 20190Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 689-9000
- Cdc - Springfield3.53 miles away8003 Forbes Place Suite 110 Springfield Virginia 22151CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (703) 321-7207
- Renal Carepartners - Fairfax5.17 miles away3930 Walnut Street Suite 100 Fairfax Virginia 22030Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 691-7820
- Fair Oaks Dialysis5.9 miles away3955 Pender Dr Fairfax Virginia 22030Dialysis Stations: 13 (703) 385-5315
- Davita Annandale Dialysis5.93 miles away7060 Columbia Pike Annandale Virginia 22003Dialysis Stations: 18 (703) 256-2569
- Fmc - Lorton5.99 miles away8986 Lorton Station Blvd Ste 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 12 (571) 642-0679
- Total Renal Care - Fairfax5.99 miles away8501 Arlington Boulevard Ste 100 Fairfax Virginia 22031CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (703) 876-8445
- Lees Dialysis LLC6.18 miles away8520 Cinder Rd Suite 100 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 17 (703) 339-6050
- Lee Dialysis6.23 miles away8520 Cinder Bed Rd Ste 200 Lorton Virginia 22079Dialysis Stations: 4 (703) 339-6050