Burbank Healthcare & Rehab is a facility located in Burbank, California. The city has a total of 106,841 people. This facility received an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly much worse facilities out there. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive nursing score, which we will address in the next section.
Burbank Healthcare & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received a much better grade for nursing than it received overall. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Our nursing grade includes a variety of factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning patients even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second most favorable category is long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this area. This is basically a slightly below average score in this category. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 99.190285 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This place keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Burbank Healthcare & Rehab?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. Short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The final category we looked at was inspections. Unfortunately, this nursing home didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F in this area. Since this data is compiled by independent government inspectors, we tend to heavily weight negative feedback in this category. This really dragged down this facility's overall grade. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 37 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Burbank Healthcare & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that have experienced a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility.
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Burbank Healthcare & Rehab, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 1 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.65 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Fmc-Burbank0.74 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis1.87 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset3.02 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles3.02 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-West Glendale3.52 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis4.16 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis4.49 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center4.67 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010