Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio looks like it is one of a list of 62 nursing homes located in San Antonio, Texas. This city has quite a few more options to choose from compared to most cities in the state. Our rating system was not favorable to this facility, as it received an overall score of F. In our grading scheme, this is one of the ten worst rated nursing homes in San Antonio. Since the city has countless other nursing homes, you will probably be able to find a better option here. We were surprisingly able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid places with too many severe deficiencies flagged. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which ended up being one of its more respectable category grades. Short-term care grades are crucial for patients needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this nursing home offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical nursing home. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. When computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the number of hours nurses are caring for residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was long-term care. This facility received a very poor grade of F in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.64413 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.83 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.94 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southcross Dialysis Center1.05 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio1.14 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323
- University Dialysis Southeast2.3 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC2.31 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- Kidney Treatment Center East3.16 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic3.71 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center3.77 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.39 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004