Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio looks like it is one of a list of 30 nursing homes located in San Antonio, Texas. This city has quite a few more options to choose from compared to most cities in the state. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. In our grading scheme, this is one of the bottom five rated facilities in San Antonio. In a city with more than 40 other facilities, you ought to be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on San Antonio senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid places that have a long list of deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a respectable score in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of short-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in that category. Our short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The last category we assessed is nursing, in which this facility was given a very poor grade in this area also. Sadly, it received an F for this category, which is obviously a major disappointment. When calculating a facility's nursing score, we assess the number of hours nurses are seeing patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is well below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 4.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 93.69% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 29 other nursing homes
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.83 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.94 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southcross Dialysis Center1.05 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio1.14 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323
- University Dialysis Southeast2.3 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC2.31 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- Kidney Treatment Center East3.16 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic3.71 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center3.77 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.39 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004