Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio looks like it is one of a list of 63 nursing homes located in San Antonio, Texas. This city has quite a few more options to choose from compared to most cities in the state. Sporting an overall rating of D, this is a well below average facility. Although this grade isn't too far off the city grade in San Antonio which is a C, you still ought to be able to do better. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually received a very good grade in the category of inspections. In fact, we gave it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an impressive score in our short-term care category. We gave this facility a better than average grade of B in this category. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. Our nursing score weighs quite a few datapoints, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home really didn't perform very well here either. With a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.31507 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place also keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients that have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 4.66% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 94.73% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vida Nursing and Rehab-San Antonio, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 5.83 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.94 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Southcross Dialysis Center1.05 miles away4602 E. Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 648-5988
- Bma Southeast San Antonio1.14 miles away4626 E Southcross Blvd San Antonio Texas 78222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (210) 648-2323
- University Dialysis Southeast2.3 miles away1407 Fair Avenue San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 358-5780
- Dsi Southeast San Antonio, LLC2.31 miles away2635 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78223Dialysis Stations: 17 (210) 202-3022
- Kidney Treatment Center East3.16 miles away1608 South New Braunfels San Antonio Texas 78210Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 531-9693
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic3.71 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center3.77 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.39 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004