Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center is a very-large facility in Brooklyn, New York. This is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our analysis, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this place's report card was its remarkable inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Brooklyn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for its inspection grade. This is far better than the facility's overall score. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was awarded a great long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it one of our most favorable grades in this area with a grade of A-. For prospective residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 85.41423 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat below what we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center?
This facility also received a strong nursing rating. We gave it a score of F in this area. Our nursing grade weighs several datapoints, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category was short-term care, which is the final category we assessed. It received a lowly F for this area. Even with some respectable grades in other categories, this grade is nevertheless concerning so we felt obligated to draw your attention to it. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Given its grade in this area, we were not stunned to find that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we looked at. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 7.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 2.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 3.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 3.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 11.87% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 90.9% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 12.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 7.38% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 7.38% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 12.55% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Vida Continuing Care & Rehab Center, 71.85% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.75 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Ridgewood Dialysis Center1 miles away385 Seneca Avenue Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (718) 366-1111
- Davita Greenpoint Dialysis1.13 miles away146 Meserole Street Brooklyn New York 11206Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 388-6039
- Fms-Nephrocare1.62 miles away1402 Atlantic Ave Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 771-6961
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.79 miles away1275 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (718) 623-0633
- Usrc South Flushing1.85 miles away71-12 Park Avenue Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 591-4010
- Fms-Queens Kidney Care1.92 miles away60-40 Fresh Pond Road Maspeth New York 11378Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 366-2118
- Bushwick Center for Renal Dialysis, LLC2.07 miles away51 Georgia Avenue Brooklyn New York 11207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 484-9588
- Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC2.09 miles away915 Dean Street Brooklyn New York 11238CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (347) 915-2140