Buena Park Nursing Center is a large nursing home in Buena Park, California. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this is a very good facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next section
Buena Park Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a score of A- for that category, which is one of our higher grades. With our short-term care category, we endeavor to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Buena Park Nursing Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was long-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility a very solid grade of B. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Buena Park Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Buena Park Nursing Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.06 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis0.53 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis1.56 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Fmc-North Orange County2.44 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Fmc-Orange County Home2.74 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis3.24 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis3.78 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.93 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis4.06 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175