Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center is one of four available nursing homes located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. This facility received an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Bryn Mawr received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth considering. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse score was short-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the data we looked at. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. Sadly, it received an F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Facilities that do not score well in this category often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated just 70.783844 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term patients that sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 88.5% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to residents' health.
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Bryn Mawr, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 7.96 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Freedom Dialysis LLC0.29 miles away940 E. Haverford Road, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 2 (610) 520-7277
- Renal Care Group East, Inc.0.31 miles away780 W Lancaster Avenue, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 525-1793
- Davita - Radnor Dialysis2.78 miles away250 King of Prussia Road Wayne Pennsylvania 19087Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 254-0070
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wynnewood2.79 miles awayLankenau Hospital Mob - East, Ground Flr 100 East Lancaster Ave., Suite 61 Wynnewood Pennsylvania 19096CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 896-9122
- Davita - City Line3.42 miles away4508 City Line Ave. Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 473-3071
- Davita - Broomall Dialysis3.69 miles away2835 W. Chester Pike, Suite 2 Broomall Pennsylvania 19008Dialysis Stations: 15 (610) 356-2719
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.4.23 miles away1740 S. State Road Upper Darby Pennsylvania 19082Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 734-3501
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Roxborough Dialysis4.5 miles away5003 Umbria Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Dialysis Stations: 16 (267) 331-6384