Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center is one of four available nursing homes located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. This facility received an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Bryn Mawr received a city grade of B-, so there are other options in the city worth considering. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
956 Railroad Avenue,
Bryn Mawr PA 19010
80.37% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home's received a low-end long-term care score where it received an F. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to a relatively low 74.82993 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last category, this facility really did not perform well in this area either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is just about as bad as it gets. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bryn Mawr Extended Care Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bryn Mawr, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Main Line Hospital Bryn Mawr CampusAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away130 South Bryn Mawr Ave Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 526-3000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 7.96 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Suburban Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away2701 Dekalb Pike Norristown Pennsylvania 19401Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 278-2000
- Freedom Dialysis LLC0.29 miles away940 E. Haverford Road, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 2 (610) 520-7277
- Renal Care Group East, Inc.0.31 miles away780 W Lancaster Avenue, Suite 102 Bryn Mawr Pennsylvania 19010Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 525-1793
- Davita - Radnor Dialysis2.78 miles away250 King of Prussia Road Wayne Pennsylvania 19087Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 254-0070
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wynnewood2.79 miles awayLankenau Hospital Mob - East, Ground Flr 100 East Lancaster Ave., Suite 61 Wynnewood Pennsylvania 19096CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (610) 896-9122
- Davita - City Line3.42 miles away4508 City Line Ave. Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19131Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 473-3071
- Davita - Broomall Dialysis3.69 miles away2835 W. Chester Pike, Suite 2 Broomall Pennsylvania 19008Dialysis Stations: 15 (610) 356-2719
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.4.23 miles away1740 S. State Road Upper Darby Pennsylvania 19082Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 734-3501
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Roxborough Dialysis4.5 miles away5003 Umbria Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Dialysis Stations: 16 (267) 331-6384