Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This facility appears to be one of the higher-graded facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In spite of Fort Lauderdale featuring 19 other nursing homes to choose from, this nursing home stood out as a first-rate option. If you look below, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also impressive.
Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also performed well in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Few facilities received a better grade in this area. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 84.14323 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a bit less than we anticipated but still a decent figure. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. The nursing score is based on several subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final area, this facility was awarded a highly favorable short-term care rating. While this isn't quite as elite as some of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of our better grades a facility can receive. Our short-term care grades are considered to be most meaningful for those in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who suffered falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term care patients which have experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Broward Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Lauderdale, Florida has 18 other nursing homes
- Broward Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.22 miles away1600 S Andrews Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33316Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 355-4400
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.04 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away4725 N Federal Hwy Fort Lauderdale Florida 33308Voluntary non-profit - Church(954) 771-8000
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- Aventura Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away20900 Biscayne Blvd Miami Florida 33180Voluntary non-profit - Private(305) 682-7000
- University Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away7201 N University Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321Proprietary(954) 721-2200
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 9.96 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away2801 N State Rd 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063Proprietary(954) 974-0400
- East Ft Lauderdale Dialysis Center LLC0.12 miles away1301 S Andrews Ave Suite 101 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33315CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (954) 761-1273
- Fmc Dialysis Services - Ft Lauderdale2.21 miles away3863 W Broward Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 321-7772
- Broward Dialysis3.25 miles away1500 N Federal Hwy #100 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33304Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 396-8990
- Kidney Kare Outpatient Services3.66 miles away326 E Dania Beach Blvd Dania Florida 33004Dialysis Stations: 3 (954) 923-3855
- Advanced Dialysis Center of Ft Lauderdale4.28 miles away911 E Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33334CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (954) 318-7000
- Fresenius Kidney Care-East Fort Lauderdale4.52 miles away2301 W Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33311Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 676-3897
- Lauderhill Dialysis5.41 miles away2916 N State Road 7 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33313CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (954) 731-6044
- Renal Care Partners Home Program5.87 miles away4970 Sw 52nd St #304 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33314Dialysis Stations: 10 (954) 791-7301