With more than 25 facilities to choose from having an address in Cincinnati, Ohio, Brookwood Retirement Community is one of the seemingly endless list of nursing homes. With an overall score of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Cincinnati. We were also pleased to find that this facility was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookwood Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Cincinnati senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned an inspection score which is better than its overall rating. Inspection ratings are based on a facility's recent inspections. We awarded this facility a very solid grade of B+ in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we gave this facility an B+. Our nursing grade assesses many subcategories, many of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookwood Retirement Community?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a respectable score in the category of short-term care, with a grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are vital for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. This facility was given a B- for the area. Long-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of nursing services. This means a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After we finished assessing the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.67846 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookwood Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 2.22% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 1.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 0.33% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 12.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 15.44% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 9.69% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 98.82% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 22.46% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 4.22% of Residents
This is the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 4.22% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 19.13% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookwood Retirement Community, 83.7% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Assurance Health Cincinnati LLCPsychiatric 0.74 miles away11690 Grooms Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Proprietary(513) 519-4947
- Bethesda NorthAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away10500 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 865-1241
- West Chester Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away7700 University Drive West Chester Ohio 45069Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 298-7700
- Mercy Health - Fairfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away3000 Mack Road Fairfield Ohio 45014Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 870-7197
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 12.6 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.91 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.31 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Fort Hamilton Hughes Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.71 miles away630 Eaton Avenue Hamilton Ohio 45013Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 867-2000
- Davita - Blue Ash Dialysis2.58 miles away10600 Mckinley Road Cincinnati Ohio 45242Dialysis Stations: 18 (513) 733-8215
- Nxstage Cincinnati LLC3.66 miles away12065 Montgomery Road Cincinnati Ohio 45249Dialysis Stations: 10 (513) 712-1300
- Davita Loveland Dialysis3.77 miles away8944 Columbia Rd Suite 6 Loveland Ohio 45140Dialysis Stations: 13 (513) 583-5326
- Dci - Westchester4.7 miles away7650 Wellness Way West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 14 (513) 777-0855
- Davita - West Chester Dialysis5.22 miles away7760 W. Voice of American Park Drive Suite E West Chester Ohio 45069Dialysis Stations: 17 (513) 755-1510
- Fmc-Liberty Dialysis-Kenwood5.87 miles away8251 Pine Road, Suite 110 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 745-0800
- Infiniti Dialysis Center of Cincinnati, LLC5.92 miles away4750 E. Galbraith Road Suite 103 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 3 (513) 791-2137
- Us Renal Care of Kenwood6 miles away5150 E. Galbraith Rd., Suite 101 Cincinnati Ohio 45236Dialysis Stations: 18 (513) 791-2698