Located in San Mateo, California, Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital is one of just a few available facilities in this area. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the better nursing homes we looked at. A score of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top quarter of all facilities in the country. As you will see below, this place also performed just fine in our category grades. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in San Mateo, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility received an excellent nursing rating. We gave it an A- in that category. Our nursing score consists of a handful of factors, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Places that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third category, we gave this facility a grade of A- for its long-term care score. This is a dominant grade. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 97.790054 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility received a very strong short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this area, completing one of our better report cards. In forming these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which have suffered falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookside Skilled Nursing Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- San Mateo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away222 W 39th Ave San Mateo California 94403Government - Local(650) 573-2222
- Sequoia HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away170 Alameda De Las Pulgas Redwood City California 94062Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 367-5551
- Mills-Peninsula Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away1501 Trousdale Drive Burlingame California 94010Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 696-5270
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Redwood CityAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away1100 Veterans Boulevard Redwood City California 94063Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 299-2000
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - South San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away1200 El Camino Real South San Francisco California 94080Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 742-3200
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.24 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Seton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.32 miles away1900 Sullivan Avenue Daly City California 94015Voluntary non-profit - Church(650) 992-4000
- Wellbound of San Mateo0.42 miles away2000 South El Camino Real 2nd Floor San Mateo California 94403Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 377-0882
- Satellite Dialysis San Mateo0.42 miles away2000 South El Camino Real San Mateo California 94403CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 377-0888
- Foster City Dialysis Center2.77 miles away1261 East Hillsdale Blvd #2 San Mateo California 94404Dialysis Stations: 16 (650) 638-9301
- Satellite Dialysis Redwood City4.34 miles away1125 Industrial Rd Suite G San Carlos California 94070CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 366-0789
- Davita Burlingame5.44 miles away1720 El Camino Real Burlingame California 94010CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (650) 697-7601
- Davita Mills Dialysis5.57 miles away100 South San Mateo Drive San Mateo California 94401Dialysis Stations: 19 (650) 548-4985
- Redwood City Dialysis Center5.82 miles away1000 Marshall Street Redwood City California 94063CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 365-0129
- Satellite Healthcare South San Francisco9.56 miles away205 Kenwood Way South San Francisco California 94080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 616-7788