Brookside Multicare Nursing Center is in Smithtown, New York, a city with 35,772 people. With an overall grade of B, this appears to be a very respectable option. You can definitely do much worse than this place. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Brookside Multicare Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections is its best category. In this category, we gave this facility an A. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it was awarded a very impressive long-term care grade. In fact, long-term care turned out to be its second most impressive category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Facilities that do well in this category tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 99.56484 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookside Multicare Nursing Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, we gave this facility a grade of D for our short-term care category. This is the facility's weakest category rating. Naturally, this grade hurt the facility's overall grade a bit. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is considered to be a solid measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. It appears that this facility was subpar in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the staffing figures we assessed. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.8 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookside Multicare Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookside Multicare Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.47 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.47 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.44 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr0.56 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center3.8 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack4.69 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Coram Dialysis Center6.68 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci7.41 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.8.5 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Carillon Dialysis LLC8.91 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc9.73 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600