Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Abington, Pennsylvania. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some solid marks. You can definitely do worse than this place. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Abington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall score, we gave this facility an A for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's higher category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. It actually fared better than most nursing homes in this area. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 78.28747 percent of its patients. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of C in this category. When determining our nursing scores, we factor in both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this statistic. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is short-term care, which proved to be a low point for this nursing home. We gave this facility a D for the area of short-term care. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is more often than not a useful assessment of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Considering its poor score in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this nursing home offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 3.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 86.27% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookside Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.3 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.34 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 4.47 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.09 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- Davita - Abington Dialysis1.43 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis1.75 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington1.81 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis2.69 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis3.79 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall3.97 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Reliant Renal Care - Cheltenham, LLC4.95 miles away7107 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19126Dialysis Stations: 10 (267) 297-8069
- Bio Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.5.41 miles away700 Cottman Avenue, Building A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 745-3183