Brookside Healthcare Center is in Redlands, California, a city with a population of 73,690 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. Based on our assessment, this place looks like a good fit for most people. The best part of this facility's report card was is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookside Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Redlands senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest scores in this area with a grade of A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of C. Our nursing score is mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookside Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a C. In the category of long-term care, we look at the amount of care offered by a facility, rather than more sophisticated services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category was short-term care, which is the last category we analyzed. In this area, we gave this facility a grade of just D. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. With its weak score in this area, we weren't shocked to find this place offers far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookside Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients who sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookside Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Redlands Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.49 miles away350 Terracina Blvd Redlands California 92373Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 335-5500
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- St Bernardine Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.41 miles away2101 N Waterman Ave San Bernardino California 92404Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 883-8711
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.37 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Community Hospital of San BernardinoAcute Care Hospitals 8.86 miles away1805 Medical Center Drive San Bernardino California 92411Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 887-6333
- Riverside University Health System-Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.31 miles away26520 Cactus Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Government - Local(951) 486-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Moreno ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away27300 Iris Avenue Moreno Valley California 92555Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 251-6000
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Fmc-Rai-Indiana Court-Redlands1.72 miles away1210 Indiana Court Redlands California 92374CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (909) 792-8880
- Loma Linda University Kidney Center2.81 miles away11375 Anderson Street Loma Linda California 92354CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (909) 558-4225
- Loma Linda University Children's Hospital Pediatric Chronic Dialysis3.03 miles awayChildrens Hospital 11234 Anderson St., Rm. 4219 Loma Linda California 92354Dialysis Stations: 5 (909) 558-8218
- Davita-Citrus Valley Dialysis3.78 miles away894 Hardt Street San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 388-6608
- Fmc-San Bernardino3.95 miles away636 E. Brier Drive, Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 890-9508
- Fmc-Loma Linda4.08 miles away269 E. Caroline Street, Suite A San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 514-1008
- Davita-Highland Ranch Dialysis Center5.8 miles away7223 Church Street, Suite a-14 Highland California 92346CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 862-9670
- Davita-Vista Heights Dialysis Center6.98 miles away12220 Perris Blvd, Ste A Moreno Valley California 92557Dialysis Stations: 37 (951) 242-5112