Brookside Haven Health Care Center is a facility in Muncie, Indiana, which has a population of 93,768 people. Our scoring system was not very kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall score of F. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 11 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Brookside Haven Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it received an impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that category with an A-. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this facility was awarded just a D in this area. Sadly, this ended up being its second best grade. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to patient care. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this facility vaccinated only 83.78378 percent of its residents, which is well below average. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.06 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookside Haven Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second worse score is short-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a well below average score. In determining our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this nursing home offers far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical nursing home. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that returned home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Switching gears to our final area, this nursing home didn't perform very well in this area either. Due to an abysmal grade of F in nursing, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. Our nursing rating includes quite a few data points, but the main one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookside Haven Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 12.38% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 91.56% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookside Haven Health Care Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Muncie, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Muncie, Indiana has 10 other nursing homes
- Indiana University Health Ball Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away2401 University Ave Muncie Indiana 47303Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 747-3111
- Henry County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.71 miles away1000 N 16th St New Castle Indiana 47362Government - Local(765) 521-0890
- Community Hospital of Anderson and Madison CountyAcute Care Hospitals 17.96 miles away1515 N Madison Ave Anderson Indiana 46011Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 298-4242
- St Vincent Anderson Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 18.2 miles away2015 Jackson St Anderson Indiana 46016Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 646-8373
- Indiana University Health Blackford HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 18.77 miles away410 Pilgrim Blvd Hartford City Indiana 47348Voluntary non-profit - Private(765) 348-0300
- Dsi - North Granville Dialysis Clinic1.52 miles away3001 North Granville Ave. Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 16 (765) 288-3740
- Davita - Muncie1.65 miles away820 E Mcgalliard Muncie Indiana 47303Dialysis Stations: 12 (765) 282-1266
- Dsi - North Muncie2.86 miles away2705 W North Street Muncie Indiana 47303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (765) 747-3020
- Fmc - Muncie Dialysis3.9 miles away4021 West Kilgore Ave. Muncie Indiana 47304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 284-3049
- Us Renal Care-Daleville18.06 miles away2220 E. 59th Street Anderson Indiana 46013Dialysis Stations: 13 (765) 378-1735
- Fmc New Castle18.15 miles away101 Emerson Avenue New Castle Indiana 47362Dialysis Stations: 21 (765) 521-0938
- Fmc - Dialysis Institute of Anderson18.16 miles away1815 Jackson St. Anderson Indiana 46016CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (765) 649-4792