Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home is located in Brooklyn, New York, which is among the most densely populated cities in the country. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the facilities in Brooklyn, which has a city grade of B-. Even in a city featuring 16 other nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a sound selection. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Brooklyn senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall score, we awarded this place a grade of A- for the area of inspections. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's above average category scores came in the category of long-term care. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a grade of B. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 90.02494 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. The nursing score weighs a number of datapoints. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care. For this category, we gave this facility a grade of C. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who have had UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 13.75% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 90.38% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brooklyn United Methodist Continuum Services0.1 miles away1485 Dumont Ave Brooklyn New York 11208Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 827-4500
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn East0.89 miles away2372 Linden Boulevard Brooklyn New York 11208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 317-0720
- Davita Ozone Park Dialysis1.3 miles away100-02, Rockaway Blvd Ozone Park New York 11417Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 843-0694
- Bushwick Center for Renal Dialysis, LLC1.98 miles away51 Georgia Avenue Brooklyn New York 11207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 484-9588
- Genesis Services2.17 miles away74-07 88th Street Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 931-1000
- Atlas Park Dialysis2.67 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Four Seasons Dialysis Center LLC.2.79 miles away1170 East 98th Street Brooklyn New York 11236CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 223-2100
- Brookdale Hospital & Medical Center2.94 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Room 249 - Hemodialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11212Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 240-5727