Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home is located in Brooklyn, New York, which is among the most densely populated cities in the country. This is a good facility with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Brooklyn. Even in a city offering 40 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a perfectly acceptable selection. We were also pleased to find that this facility was consistent in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A for its inspection grade. This is far more impressive than its overall grade. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
This facility's second best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is not an impressive total. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road score in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Long-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of care. This includes a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 80.51643 percent of its patients. This is significantly below what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this place keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. This is a decent grade in this category. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Some argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 39 other nursing homes
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.91 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.46 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Brooklyn United Methodist Continuum Services0.1 miles away1485 Dumont Ave Brooklyn New York 11208Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 827-4500
- Rogosin Institute-Nephrology Foundation of Brooklyn East0.89 miles away2372 Linden Boulevard Brooklyn New York 11208CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 317-0720
- Davita Ozone Park Dialysis1.3 miles away100-02, Rockaway Blvd Ozone Park New York 11417Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 843-0694
- Bushwick Center for Renal Dialysis, LLC1.98 miles away51 Georgia Avenue Brooklyn New York 11207CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 484-9588
- Genesis Services2.17 miles away74-07 88th Street Ridgewood New York 11385CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 931-1000
- Atlas Park Dialysis2.67 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Four Seasons Dialysis Center LLC.2.79 miles away1170 East 98th Street Brooklyn New York 11236CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 223-2100
- Brookdale Hospital & Medical Center2.94 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Room 249 - Hemodialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11212Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 240-5727