Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center turns out to be one of several nursing home options at your disposal in Far Rockaway, New York. We gave this facility a C overall, which is not a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Far Rockaway, which is a B-. Based on our ratings, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this place's profile is its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
250 Beach 17th Street,
Far Rockaway NY 11691
92.34% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent government inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its second best category grade in the area of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is a respectable score. In calculating our long-term care scores, we size up the assistance with daily living offered to a facility's patients. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.510765 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only earned a D for its short-term care grade, which is not one of our better scores. In our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Based on its score in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this place was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Moving on to the last category, we gave this facility a grade of D for nursing. This is the facility's worst category score. In computing a facility's nursing score, we look at the amount of time nurses are with patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility offered a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This number is quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who experienced urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.24 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.04 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.19 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.31 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.41 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.4 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.32 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.35 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.45 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center6.07 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600