Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center is a very-large nursing home in Far Rockaway, New York. This nursing home was given an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a subpar rating. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Far Rockaway. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Far Rockaway senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this nursing home favorably overall, we actually gave it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that have a long list of deficiencies. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given its second best category grade in the area of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of C in this category, which is a decent grade. For residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 96.35514 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is short-term care, in which this nursing home received an F. In our short-term care score, we strive to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Given its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the data we looked at. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last area we analyzed is nursing. It received an F for this category, which is a rock bottom grade. There are quite a few factors within this category. Most of these data points are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This place provided only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 6.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 1.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 3.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 10.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 18.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 95.29% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 7.23% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 5.96% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 5.96% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 9.19% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Rehab & Health Care Center, 70.87% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Far Rockaway, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Far Rockaway, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.24 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 10.04 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- New York Community Hospital of Brooklyn, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away2525 Kings Highway Brooklyn New York 11229Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 692-5302
- Kingsbrook Jewish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away585 Schenectady Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 604-5789
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center0.19 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- Rockaway Hd LLC0.31 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC0.41 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.4 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Springfield Dialysis Center4.32 miles away134-35 Springfield Boulevard Springfield Gardens New York 11413CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 978-1233
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.35 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center5.45 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center6.07 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600