Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in Carrollton, Texas. It looks like this facility is a subpar facility. A grade in this range suggests we found some red flags. Based on our assessment, this facility likely isn't the best fit for most prospective residents. The best thing we can really say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This facility's second best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Nursing grades are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This facility offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second worse score is long-term care, where it received just a D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care, which proved to be a weak spot for this facility. We gave this nursing home a D for our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. With its score in this area, we were not stunned to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.9 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have experienced urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.66% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94.73% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Carrollton, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carrollton, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- First Texas Hospital Carrollton LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away1401 E Trinity Mills Road Carrollton Texas 75006Proprietary(972) 810-0700
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 6.19 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Renal Center of Carrollton2.29 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Athios Dialysis, LLC3.68 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891
- Renal Center of Lewisville5.22 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211
- Fresenius Medical Care Willow Bend, LLC5.28 miles away6823 Communications Pkwy Bldg A Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 474-0025
- Carrolton Regional Dialysis Center5.51 miles away1128 North I-35 East Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 27 (972) 242-7648
- Davita West Plano Dialysis5.58 miles away5036 Tennyson Parkway Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 608-1089
- Fmc of West Plano6.15 miles away4405 Tradition Trail Plano Texas 75093CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (972) 943-7656
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville6.18 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424