Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in Carrollton, Texas. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. Based on our assessment, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. This nursing home did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Carrollton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is essentially a slightly below average score in this category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is generally a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable category turned out to be its long-term care grade, where it was given a C. In determining our long-term care scores, we look at the personal care offered to a nursing home's residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to our fourth area, we awarded this facility a D in our nursing category. This is the nursing home's least impressive category score. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which have experienced urinary tract infections. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 24.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.54% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 98.82% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.23% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.77% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.77% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.31% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 54.67% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- First Texas Hospital Carrollton LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away1401 E Trinity Mills Road Carrollton Texas 75006Proprietary(972) 810-0700
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 6.19 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Renal Center of Carrollton2.29 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Athios Dialysis, LLC3.68 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891
- Renal Center of Lewisville5.22 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211
- Fresenius Medical Care Willow Bend, LLC5.28 miles away6823 Communications Pkwy Bldg A Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 474-0025
- Carrolton Regional Dialysis Center5.51 miles away1128 North I-35 East Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 27 (972) 242-7648
- Davita West Plano Dialysis5.58 miles away5036 Tennyson Parkway Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 608-1089
- Fmc of West Plano6.15 miles away4405 Tradition Trail Plano Texas 75093CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (972) 943-7656
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville6.18 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424