Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in Carrollton, Texas. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Carrollton, which is admittedly a bit below average nationally. This nursing home did not meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Carrollton TX 75010
45.66% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is essentially a slightly below average score in this category. Our long-term care scores are more meaningful for those requiring more conventional services related to personal care. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a solid grade of B-. Our short-term care scores are believed to be more critical for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The next category we scored was nursing, which turned out to be a weak link for this nursing home. We gave this facility a grade of D for the area of nursing. In computing our nursing scores, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Carrollton, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carrollton, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- First Texas Hospital Carrollton LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away1401 E Trinity Mills Road Carrollton Texas 75006Proprietary(972) 810-0700
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 6.01 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Childrens Medical Center PlanoChildrens 6.19 miles away7601 Preston Road Plano Texas 75024Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-1792
- Renal Center of Carrollton2.29 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Athios Dialysis, LLC3.68 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891
- Renal Center of Lewisville5.22 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211
- Fresenius Medical Care Willow Bend, LLC5.28 miles away6823 Communications Pkwy Bldg A Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 17 (214) 474-0025
- Carrolton Regional Dialysis Center5.51 miles away1128 North I-35 East Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 27 (972) 242-7648
- Davita West Plano Dialysis5.58 miles away5036 Tennyson Parkway Plano Texas 75024Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 608-1089
- Fmc of West Plano6.15 miles away4405 Tradition Trail Plano Texas 75093CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (972) 943-7656
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville6.18 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424