Brookhaven Health Care Facility is a senior living facility located in Patchogue, New York. The city has a population of 44,837 people. This nursing home is a grade A facility, which is a high-end rating. We ranked this facility in the 100 best nursing homes in New York, which is a distinguished list. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's stellar profile is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Brookhaven Health Care Facility
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite facility overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed this well in this area. Our inspection scores are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its fine assessment, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent short-term care grade, with a grade of A. Short-term care scores are crucial for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Health Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a dominant long-term care grade. This actually is its third strongest category score. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A-. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Switching gears to the next area, this nursing home was given a very strong nursing rating. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that area, topping off one of our finer profiles. In computing a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the amount of time nurses commit to patients and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Health Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 91.89% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Many believe that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Health Care Facility, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.27 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 16.3 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.44 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Peconic Bay Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.84 miles away1300 Roanoke Avenue Riverhead New York 11901Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 548-6000
- Long Island Community Hospital0.34 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Long Island Community Hospital2.65 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Davita Medford Kidney Center3.61 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Coram Dialysis Center7.88 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci10.32 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc10.52 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.11.85 miles away200 Carleton Avenue East Islip New York 11730CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (631) 581-0897
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center12.79 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605