Brookhaven Extensive Care is one of four nursing homes in Norman, Oklahoma. With an overall rating of D, this is a well below average nursing home. Based on our ratings, this place likely isn't the best fit for most people. The best thing we can really say about this place is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Brookhaven Extensive Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Occupational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the facility's overall score. Our inspection ratings are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its second best category score in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this area, which is a decent score. Short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookhaven Extensive Care?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is long-term care, where this facility received a C in this area. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 85 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly less than what we were hoping for. Nevertheless, this place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we assessed is nursing, which ended up being this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this area. Nursing scores are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This place offered just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookhaven Extensive Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookhaven Extensive Care, 4.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookhaven Extensive Care, 13.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookhaven Extensive Care, 92.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookhaven Extensive Care, 15.05 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookhaven Extensive Care, 70.64% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Norman, OK
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Norman, Oklahoma has 3 other nursing homes
- Grady Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.06 miles away2220 Iowa Street Chickasha Oklahoma 73018Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 224-2300
- Norman RegionalAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away901 N Porter Norman Oklahoma 73070Government - Hospital District or Authority(405) 307-1050
- Community Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away3100 Southwest 89th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159Physician(405) 602-8100
- Oklahoma Heart Hospital South, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.58 miles away5200 East I-240 Service Road Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73135Physician(405) 628-6000
- Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away100 Southeast 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73129Physician(405) 634-9300
- Onecore HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.31 miles away1044 Sw 44th, Suite 350 Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Other(405) 631-3085
- Integris Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away4401 South Western Avenue Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109Voluntary non-profit - Private(405) 636-7000
- Purcell Municipal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.61 miles away1500 North Green Avenue Purcell Oklahoma 73080Government - Local(405) 527-6524
- Davita - Norman2.25 miles away1818 W Lindsey Bldg B ste104 Norman Oklahoma 73069Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 360-9815
- Davita - Sooner Dialysis2.9 miles away1561 N Porter Ave Norman Oklahoma 73071CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 329-3830
- Davita - Moore Dialysis7.14 miles away620 S. Santa Fe Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 12 (405) 799-2439
- Fkc - Moore7.71 miles away450 N Eastern Ave Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73160Dialysis Stations: 17 (405) 790-0626
- Fmcna - Southwest Oklahoma City Jv9.77 miles away10301 Greenbriar Pkwy Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73159CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (405) 691-3433
- Davita - Cleveland Pd10.59 miles away1059 Se 82nd Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73149Dialysis Stations: 8 (405) 512-6912
- Davita - Oklahoma City South12.19 miles away319 Sw 59th Street Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (405) 634-3708
- Fmcna - South Okc Dx Ctr12.64 miles away5419 S Western Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (405) 636-1570