Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center is a large nursing home in Brookfield, Wisconsin. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. Based on our analysis, this place likely isn't a good fit for anyone. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is addressed in the next section.
Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Neither this place's overall score nor its category grades gave us much to write home about. Its best area was short-term care, but even there it received a lowly D. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Based on its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. Nursing grades are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center?
This facility received an F for its inspection grade. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection score. We recommend you pay close attention to the level of severity of the deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was assessed significant government fines of over $100,000. This generally indicates that a bad track record spanned multiple years.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this nursing home didn't fare well here either. Due to a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 90.909096 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 6.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 3.27% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 3.19% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 13.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 15.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 6.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 92.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 13.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 13.08 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookfield Rehab and Specialty Care Center, 75.51% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Waukesha County Mental Health CtrPsychiatric 4.56 miles away1501 Airport Rd Waukesha Wisconsin 53188Government - Local(262) 548-7950
- Waukesha Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away725 American Ave Waukesha Wisconsin 53188Voluntary non-profit - Private(262) 928-1000
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health DivisionPsychiatric 5.74 miles away9455 W Watertown Plank Rd Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Government - Local(414) 257-5202
- Froedtert Memorial Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away9200 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 805-3000
- Childrens Hospital of WisconsinChildrens 6.03 miles away9000 W Wisconsin Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226Voluntary non-profit - Other(414) 266-2000
- Aurora West Allis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away8901 W Lincoln Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53227Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 328-6000
- Ascension Se Wisconsin Hospital - St Joseph CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away5000 W Chambers St Milwaukee Wisconsin 53210Voluntary non-profit - Church(414) 447-2130
- Aurora St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.36 miles away2900 W Oklahoma Ave Milwaukee Wisconsin 53215Voluntary non-profit - Private(414) 649-6000
- Total Renal Care Inc0.22 miles away18740 W Bluemound Rd Brookfield Wisconsin 53045Dialysis Stations: 8 (262) 782-9856
- Davita - Capitol Drive3.71 miles away19395 W Capitol Dr, Suite 100 Brookfield Wisconsin 53045Dialysis Stations: 12 (262) 781-0273
- Wisconsin Renal Care Group, l.l.c.3.85 miles away17500 W Capitol Dr Brookfield Wisconsin 53045Dialysis Stations: 13 (262) 373-1244
- Fmc - Centre Point4.6 miles away11340 W Theodore Trecker Way Milwaukee Wisconsin 53214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (414) 774-1244
- Fresenius Medical Care Midwest Waukesha4.88 miles away111 Ann St Waukesha Wisconsin 53188CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (262) 542-6179
- Total Renal Care Inc5.24 miles away721 American Ave Ste 204 Waukesha Wisconsin 53188CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (262) 928-2575
- Davita - Bluemound5.43 miles away601 North 99th Street Suite 100 Milwaukee Wisconsin 53226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (414) 755-6300
- Total Renal Care Inc.6.25 miles away1260 Sentry Dr Waukesha Wisconsin 53186Dialysis Stations: 12 (262) 446-5100