Brookfield Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Downey, California. This is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. This actually ended up being the highest graded nursing home in the city. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookfield Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Downey senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was given positive long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the facility's second highest score. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 98.62069 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.06 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookfield Healthcare Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. Our nursing category analyzes a handful of datapoints, many of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home was awarded a grade of C for short-term care, which we consider to be an acceptable score. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be more meaningful for folks needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookfield Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which had a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents which are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.03 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis1.93 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis2.06 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center2.12 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis2.13 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis2.48 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey3.11 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.35 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841