Brookfield Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Downey, California. This is a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. If you take a look at the other options in Downey, we suspect you will find this nursing home to be a better option than most of the nursing homes in the city. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Brookfield Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A for that area, which is one of our best grades. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Our nursing rating weighs many components, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookfield Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a very positive long-term care grade, with a B in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. Once we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not leave this to chance. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in that category. Short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookfield Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.03 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis1.93 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis2.06 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center2.12 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis2.13 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis2.48 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey3.11 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.35 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841