Brookfield Healthcare Center is a small nursing home located in Downey, California. This is a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. If you take a look at the other options in Downey, we hope you will find this place to be a more appealing option than most of the nursing homes in the city. This city simply does not have a great selection of nursing homes. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Brookfield Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
The next most favorable category we awarded this nursing home in any area came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookfield Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received its third most favorable category score in the category of long-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of B- in this category, which is an acceptable grade. Our long-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's amount of care. This includes a vast range of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. This nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Our next area is nursing, in which we awarded this facility a C in this area. When determining our nursing grades, we factor in both nursing hours and the skill levels of the nurses. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookfield Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookfield Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Downey, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Downey, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 2.14 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center1.03 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis1.93 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis2.06 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Downey Landing Dialysis Center2.12 miles away11611 Bellflower Blvd. Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 862-0001
- Davita-Iowa Street Dialysis2.13 miles away8333 Iowa Street, Suite 100 Downey California 90241CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 923-5901
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis2.48 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Downey3.11 miles awayCapd Department-Basement, 9333 E. Imperial Hwy Downey California 90242Dialysis Stations: 6 (562) 657-9170
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.35 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841