Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center is the only facility we were able to find in Sandy Spring, Maryland. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this is without a doubt a very strong nursing home. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes nationally. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which are also impressive. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Sandy Spring senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A for short-term care. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is long-term care. This nursing home was given an impressive long-term care score, with a grade of B+ in this area. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 92.18009 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we anticipated but still a respectable percentage. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to the next area, this facility received a highly favorable nursing score. We gave it a grade of B+ in this category, completing one of our finer report cards. We looked at the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses worked with patients, in determining our score in this area. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 11.04% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 90.84% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brooke Grove Rehab. & Nsg Center, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.85 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 11.26 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Bma - Rockville5.38 miles away7524 Standish Pl Ste 100-B Derwood Maryland 20855Dialysis Stations: 16 (301) 610-0711
- Brownwood Dialysis LLC5.7 miles away5544 Norbeck Rd Rockville Maryland 20853CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 460-2090
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton7.61 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC7.78 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Fmc - Silver Spring7.78 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Us Renal Care - Rockville8.23 miles away11800 a Nebel St Rockville Maryland 20852Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 468-3221
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook8.33 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Bma - Wheaton8.33 miles away10901b Georgia Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20902Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 933-1307