Brookdale University Park Snf (Al) is a small nursing home located in Birmingham, Alabama. Featuring an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a phenomenal nursing home. As a matter of fact, this turned out to be one of the three highest graded nursing homes in Birmingham. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category grades. It's hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale University Park Snf (Al)
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Birmingham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Birmingham, Alabama Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
On the list of its many elite scores, this nursing home received first-rate short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a score of A- in that category. Our short-term care ratings are critical for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale University Park Snf (Al)?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its long-term care grade. This is a superb grade. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 91.85185 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the final category we scored, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home topped off a very strong report card. Nursing grades are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as reliable indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale University Park Snf (Al) Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 13.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 8.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 23.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 28.26% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 0% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 93.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 16.67% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 35.67% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 35.67% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 13.14% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale University Park Snf (Al), 84.1% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.34 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 3.15 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.34 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.35 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC2.53 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Childrens Hospital Dialysis3.14 miles away1600 7th Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 7 (205) 638-9275
- Rcg Southside3.14 miles away2131 Magnolia Ave South #100 Birmingham Alabama 35205Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 322-4382
- Birmingham Central Dialysis3.3 miles away728 Richard Arrington Blvd S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (205) 250-6760
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc3.65 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844
- Magic City Dialysis3.69 miles away300 22nd St. S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (205) 986-0592
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc3.69 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757
- Rcg Princeton3.73 miles away708 Cotton Ave Sw Birmingham Alabama 35211CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (205) 785-3500