Brookdale Smithfield is a nursing home in Smithfield, Rhode Island, which has a population of 13,762 people. Featuring an overall score of A, this is clearly a first-rate nursing home. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top ten percentile of all facilities in the United States. Headlining this place's stellar profile is its inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2019 by Nick Lata
Note: Data for Brookdale Smithfield has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Smithfield, Rhode Island Awards 2019
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility earned near flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ long-term care grade, rendering it one of the few facilities to receive more than one A+ category scores. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Smithfield?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning our next category, this facility was awarded a top-shelf short-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this area. Our short-term care grades are probably more meaningful for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Turning to our next category, this facility was given an excellent nursing rating. We awarded it a B+ in this area, wrapping up one of our more favorable profiles. Our nursing grade includes a variety of subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Rhode Island in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving a resident more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Smithfield Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Smithfield, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Smithfield, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Smithfield, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Smithfield, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Smithfield, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Smithfield, 2.58% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Smithfield, 94.38% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Smithfield, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Smithfield, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Many would argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Brookdale Smithfield, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Smithfield, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Smithfield, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Smithfield, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.76 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 8.68 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 11.23 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.57 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Bio-Medical Applications of Rhode Island4.51 miles away622 George Washington Highway Lincoln Rhode Island 02865Dialysis Stations: 17 (401) 333-4727
- Davita North Providence Renal Center4.92 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Dialysis Center of Johnston4.96 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Nna of Providence7.34 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Nna - Pawtucket8.16 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Providence8.49 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket8.75 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Dialysis Center of Woonsocket9.32 miles away2100 Diamond Hill Road Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (401) 765-4995