Brookdale Santa Catalina is a small nursing home located in Tucson, Arizona. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average score. You can certainly do much worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any poor grades in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale Santa Catalina
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Tucson senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ in short-term care. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. In our short-term care score, we try to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Adding to its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Santa Catalina?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of C in this category is by no means a bad score. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat discouraging figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last category, this facility received a decent long-term care rating. While this is not as dominant as several of its other grades, this is really not a bad grade. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Santa Catalina Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who had a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 3.74% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 74.57% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Santa Catalina, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Tucson, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Tucson, Arizona has 15 other nursing homes
- Sonora Behavioral Health HospitalPsychiatric 4.65 miles away6050 North Corona Road Tucson Arizona 85704Proprietary(520) 469-8700
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away6200 North La Cholla Boulevard Tucson Arizona 85741Proprietary(520) 469-8100
- Oro Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away1551 East Tangerine Road Tucson Arizona 85755Proprietary(520) 901-3549
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away1625 North Campbell Avenue Tucson Arizona 85724Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-4189
- Palo Verde Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 6.96 miles away2695 North Craycroft Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 322-2888
- Tucson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away5301 East Grant Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 327-5461
- St. Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away1601 West St Mary's Road Tucson Arizona 85745Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 872-3000
- St Joseph's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away350 North Wilmot Road Tucson Arizona 85711Voluntary non-profit - Other(520) 873-3000
- Northwest Tucson Dialysis (Dva)0.59 miles away2945 W Ina Rd Ste 105 Tucson Arizona 85741CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (520) 797-0049
- Northwest Tucson Dialysis (Fmc)4.72 miles away6261 N La Cholla Blvd Ste 181 Tucson Arizona 85741CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (520) 297-1490
- Desert Dialysis Center (Dci)4.88 miles away2022 E Prince Rd Tucson Arizona 85719Dialysis Stations: 19 (520) 327-0007
- Davita Oro Valley Dialysis5.96 miles away1521 E Tangerine Road Suite 101 Tucson Arizona 85755Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 219-2879
- Tucson Central Dialysis (Dva)6.34 miles away2901 E Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85716CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 325-3408
- Tucson West Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.7 miles away100 W Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85705CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 624-0266
- Banner University Medical Center Pediatric Outpatient Dialysis Unit7.07 miles awayPO Box 245148 Tucson Arizona 85724Dialysis Stations: 4 (520) 694-7176
- Swan Dialysis7.33 miles away1635 N Swan Road Tucson Arizona 85712Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 327-1125