Brookdale San Dimas is a nursing home in San Dimas, California, a city with 33,119 people. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a lower end facility. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to steer clear of this place. In spite of all this, this facility surprisingly performed well in our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale San Dimas
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Dimas senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a very impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best scores in that area with a grade of A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home just a D for our short-term care grade and that actually turned out to be its next most favorable score. Short-term care ratings are important for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this facility provides substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical nursing home. Finally, we considered the number of residents that eventually returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale San Dimas?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. There are quite a few subcategories included in this grade. Many of the subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This place averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next category, this nursing home did not perform well in this category either. With a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale San Dimas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale San Dimas, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale San Dimas, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered falls leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale San Dimas, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this statistic can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale San Dimas, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale San Dimas, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale San Dimas, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale San Dimas, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.79 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.2 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis3.75 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership3.96 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.4.22 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina4.34 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora4.35 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Citrus Dialysis Center4.41 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora4.88 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551