Brookdale San Dimas is a nursing home in San Dimas, California, a city with 33,119 people. Featuring an overall grade of B, this facility is a quality option. Based on our assessment, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Brookdale San Dimas
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a strong overall grade as discussed above, but we especially wanted to point out its excellent nursing rating. We awarded them an A- in this category. Our nursing rating consists of many subcategories, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also was awarded a high-end short-term care score. We gave them a dominant grade of A- in this category. Our short-term care grade is often used to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale San Dimas?
This nursing home also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. We gave it an impressive grade of A- for that category, which is among our best grades. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively insignificant. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category is long-term care, which is the final area we assessed. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of just D. For residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale San Dimas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale San Dimas, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale San Dimas, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale San Dimas, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale San Dimas, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale San Dimas, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale San Dimas, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale San Dimas, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale San Dimas, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.79 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.69 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.91 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.38 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.33 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.2 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis3.75 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership3.96 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.4.22 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina4.34 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora4.35 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Citrus Dialysis Center4.41 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora4.88 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551