Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing is an average-sized nursing home located in Bakersfield, California. Featuring an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a very good option. This nursing home proved to be far superior to the most of the nursing homes in the city. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its short-term care rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
350 Calloway Drive, Building C,
Bakersfield CA 93312
84.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall score, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A for short-term care. With our short-term care category, we seek to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an B+. We looked at the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in calculating our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This is a very respectable nursing score. Inspection grades are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D in the area of long-term care. This is the nursing home's worst category grade. Of course, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to a certain degree. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.540146 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care patients who have suffered a fall resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bakersfield, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Bakersfield, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training1.23 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis1.27 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Fmc-Bakersfield1.54 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training2.77 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center3.2 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-White Lane Dialysis3.33 miles away7701 White Lane, Suite D Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 396-7158
- Davita-Seven Oaks Dialysis3.42 miles away4651 Corporate Court Bakersfield California 93311Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 664-5887
- Davita-Bakersfield Oak St Dialysis4.34 miles away422 Oak Street Bakersfield California 93304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 631-0227