Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing is an average-sized nursing home located in Bakersfield, California. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. This nursing home proved to be one of the better nursing homes in the city. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this facility performed well in short-term care. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Short-term care grades are generally employed to score a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing?
This nursing home also received favorable government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This place received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is long-term care. In this category, we gave this facility a solid grade of C. This ended up being this facility's worst area. Our long-term care grades are critical for residents in need of personal care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.23372 percent of its residents. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained falls which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Riverwalk Skilled Nursing, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bakersfield, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Bakersfield, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.05 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training1.23 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis1.27 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Fmc-Bakersfield1.54 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training2.77 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center3.2 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-White Lane Dialysis3.33 miles away7701 White Lane, Suite D Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 396-7158
- Davita-Seven Oaks Dialysis3.42 miles away4651 Corporate Court Bakersfield California 93311Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 664-5887
- Davita-Bakersfield Oak St Dialysis4.34 miles away422 Oak Street Bakersfield California 93304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 631-0227