Brookdale Richmond Heights is a small nursing home located in Cleveland, Ohio. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber generally indicates some red flags. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Cleveland, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Brookdale Richmond Heights
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility highly overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. When determining a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the number of hours nurses are caring for residents and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Richmond Heights?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a respectable score in the category of short-term care, with a grade of C. Our short-term care grades are likely more important for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care. This facility was given a bottom of the barrel grade of F in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. One of the factors we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to only 44.859814 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Richmond Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients which are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 20.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Richmond Heights, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 47 other nursing homes
- Uhhs Richmond Heights HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away27100 Chardon Road Cleveland Ohio 44143Proprietary(440) 585-6170
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.65 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.26 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.2.8 miles away25301 Euclid Avenue Euclid Ohio 44117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (216) 732-3750
- Community Dialysis Center3.25 miles away27350 Cedar Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 378-1580
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Euclid3.3 miles away26450 Euclid Ave. Euclid Ohio 44132Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 731-0513
- Fmc - Huron Dialysis Center4.7 miles away13944 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44112Dialysis Stations: 22 (216) 541-5880
- Fkc-Ohio Renal Care Group Southpointe5.36 miles away4200 Warrensville Center Road, Suite 100 Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 21 (216) 368-0004
- Ohio Renal Holdings Inc.5.77 miles away3609 Park East Drive, Suite 106 North Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 6 (216) 455-1315
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.6.22 miles away18720 Chagrin Blvd Beachwood Ohio 44122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (216) 295-7000
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group Home Dialysis Program6.52 miles away2429 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive 2nd Floor Cleveland Ohio 44120Dialysis Stations: 5 (216) 421-1013