Brookdale Palmer Ranch is a facility located in Sarasota, Florida, which has a total of 232,625 people. This nursing home turns out to be an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the most impressive grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch scores across the board. Even in a city with 11 nursing homes, this nursing home caught our attention as a first-rate selection. As you will find below, this place also performed just fine in our category grades. It would be hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale Palmer Ranch
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Sarasota senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Florida Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall score, we awarded this facility an A+ for its short-term care score. In calculating these short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
This nursing home has received near flawless government inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Palmer Ranch?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our next area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its long-term care grade. This is a dominant score. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In our final area, we awarded this nursing home a A for our nursing grade. This completed an elite report card. The nursing score includes a number of data points. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning a resident at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Palmer Ranch Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 2.53% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 95.81% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Palmer Ranch, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Sarasota, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Sarasota, Florida has 10 other nursing homes
- Doctors Hospital of SarasotaAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away5731 Bee Ridge Rd Sarasota Florida 34233Proprietary(941) 342-1100
- Sarasota Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away1700 S Tamiami Trl Sarasota Florida 34239Government - Hospital District or Authority(941) 917-9000
- Lakewood Ranch Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away8330 Lakewood Ranch Blvd Bradenton Florida 34202Proprietary(941) 782-2100
- Venice Regional Medical Center - Bayfront HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.77 miles away540 the Rialto Venice Florida 34285Proprietary(941) 485-7711
- Manatee Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.98 miles away206 2nd St E Bradenton Florida 34208Proprietary(941) 746-5111
- Blake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.46 miles away2020 59th St W Bradenton Florida 34209Proprietary(941) 792-6611
- Fmc - Sarasota Coastal Dialysis Center4.66 miles away2989 Fruitville Rd Sarasota Florida 34237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (941) 373-9270
- Fresenius Kidney Care Sarasota Trails5.21 miles away4012 S Tamiami Trail Sarasota Florida 34231Dialysis Stations: 17 (941) 924-0003
- Us Renal Care Sarasota6.3 miles away1921 Waldemere St Ste 107 Sarasota Florida 34239CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (941) 917-6444
- Manasota Dialysis9.81 miles away6960 Professional Pkwy E Units 4 & 5 Sarasota Florida 34240Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 362-2864
- Fmc - North Sarasota Dialysis Center10.37 miles away8037 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 14 (941) 351-1641
- Rtc - Venice10.38 miles away816 Pinebrook Rd Venice Florida 34285Dialysis Stations: 23 (941) 486-9057
- Lakewood Ranch Dialysis11.03 miles away8470 Cooper Creek Blvd Bradenton Florida 34201Dialysis Stations: 12 (941) 359-0676
- Fmc - Venice12.76 miles away1120 Indian Hills Blvd Venice Florida 34293CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (941) 493-5969