Brookdale Overland Park is a senior living facility in Leawood, Kansas, a city with a total of 33,530 people. Sporting an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a top-shelf facility. You flat out can't do much better than this facility. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's stellar profile is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brookdale Overland Park
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Leawood KS 66209
86.06% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Leawood, Kansas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Leawood, Kansas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received an A+ in short-term care. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Overland Park?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. The nursing rating analyzes several components, however, the main one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored was long-term care. We awarded this facility one of our higher grades in that category, with a grade of B. Even though this wasn't as favorable as some of this nursing home's other grades, it is nevertheless a fine grade. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a life or death ailment for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Overland Park Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Overland Park, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Overland Park, 5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Overland Park, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Overland Park, 18.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Overland Park, 22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Overland Park, 5.66% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Overland Park, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Overland Park, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Overland Park, 17% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Brookdale Overland Park, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Overland Park, 17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Overland Park, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Overland Park, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.57 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood0.28 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Nall Dialysis0.68 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis3.56 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph3.67 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Timberlake Dialysis3.79 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis3.91 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Concerto Kansas, LLC4.98 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Fkc - Lenexa5.12 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571