Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing is in Austin, Texas, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. This nursing home turns out to be a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. As a matter of fact, we ranked this facility as the tenth best nursing home in Austin. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1917 Lohmans Crossing Rd,
Austin TX 78734
75.3% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Not many facilities performed better in that area. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of achievements, it also received a first-rate short-term care score. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Short-term care ratings are critical for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. When computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored is long-term care, which ended up being this facility's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in that category. Of course, this score pulled down the facility's overall grade to a certain degree. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 94.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Lakeway Skilled Nursing, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Austin, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Austin, Texas has 25 other nursing homes
- Seton Southwest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away7900 Fm 1826 Austin Texas 78737Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-9000
- The Hospital at Westlake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away5656 Bee Caves Road, Suite M-302 Austin Texas 78746Proprietary(512) 327-0000
- Arise Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away3003 Bee Caves Road Austin Texas 78746Voluntary non-profit - Other(512) 347-9888
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.47 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Ascension Seton Medical Center AustinAcute Care Hospitals 14.05 miles away1201 W 38th St Austin Texas 78705Physician(512) 324-1000
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 14.44 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- St David's South Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.49 miles away901 West Ben White Blvd Austin Texas 78704Proprietary(512) 448-7107
- Dell Seton Med Center at the University of TxAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away601 E 15th Street Austin Texas 78701Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-7000
- Satellite Dialysis Southwood13.98 miles away1701 W. Ben White Blvd, Suite #180 Austin Texas 78704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (512) 383-0300
- Fresenius Medical Care of Cedar Park14.04 miles away1201 North Lakeline Blvd. Suite 100 Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 259-1329
- Waterloo Dialysis Center14.18 miles away5310 Burnet Road Unit 122 Austin Texas 78756CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 420-9403
- Moncrief Dialysis Center14.21 miles away800 West 34th Street Suite 101 Austin Texas 78705Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 485-7872
- Madison Dialysis, LLC14.45 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097
- Fresenius Medical Care Austin South14.6 miles away621 Radam Ln Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 707-7601
- South Austin Dialysis LLC14.86 miles away6114 South 1st Street Austin Texas 78745CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 447-8500
- Davita Leander Dialysis15.35 miles away2906 S Bagdad Rd Ste 120 Leander Texas 78641Dialysis Stations: 16 (512) 260-4102