Brookdale Carmel Valley is located in San Diego, California, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. This turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We found this facility to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in San Diego, which has a city grade of B. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Brookdale Carmel Valley
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
13101 Hartfield Ave,
San Diego CA 92130
65.77% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned an A-. Short-term care grades are generally employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Nursing scores are largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Carmel Valley?
Adding yet another impressive category grade, we awarded this facility an impressive grade of A- for our inspections category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B-. While this proved to be its poorest category grade, this is still not a bad grade. Our long-term care grade is used to assess a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate this place's vaccination data. Finally, this place excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Carmel Valley Quality Metrics
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Carmel Valley, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Carmel Valley, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Carmel Valley, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 13.88 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 14.54 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 14.58 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-La Jolla2.64 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis6.45 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis6.65 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North7.72 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Fmc-Rancho8.74 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center10.93 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego11.71 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center13.58 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170