Brookdale Bear Creek is in the large metropolitan area of Colorado Springs, Colorado with a population of 525,713 people. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this is clearly a very impressive facility. Based on the data we reviewed, you can not go wrong with this place. The best aspect of this facility's impressive profile was its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Brookdale Bear Creek
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are critical for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 7.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Bear Creek?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. The nursing score assesses many factors, but the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is long-term care. This facility was given a favorable long-term care rating in our assessment, with a grade of C. Although this was not as good as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless a respectable grade for that area. In the category of long-term care, we focus more on the quantity of services offered by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Bear Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 6.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who sustained falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 2.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 17.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 3.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 85.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 75.24% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 21 other nursing homes
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 2.79 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.49 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)3.84 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)4.11 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)4.25 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)4.3 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)7.7 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)10.98 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223