Brookdale Bear Creek is in the large metropolitan area of Colorado Springs, Colorado with a population of 525,713 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, this appears to be a very respectable facility. This place definitely has plenty going for it. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Brookdale Bear Creek
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1685 South 21st Street,
Colorado Springs CO 80904
75.55% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Bear Creek?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. While this wasn't quite as good as some of its other category grades, this isn't a bad score either. Our nursing grade considers numerous datapoints. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category is long-term care, which is the last category we looked at. In this category, we gave this nursing home an D. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable datapoint. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Bear Creek Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 3.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. High levels of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 84.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's health.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Bear Creek, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 20 other nursing homes
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 2.79 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.49 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)3.84 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)4.11 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)4.25 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)4.3 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)7.7 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)10.98 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223