Fountains at Mill Cove is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Jacksonville, Florida with a total of 810,498 people. With an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most people. You can definitely do much worse than this place. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Fountains at Mill Cove
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
9960 Atrium Way,
Jacksonville FL 32225
91.9% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this very important category. Inspection scores are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this facility's other accomplishments is its superb long-term care score. It received one of our more favorable scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Fountains at Mill Cove?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received its next most favorable category grade in the area of short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in this area, which is an acceptable grade. Short-term care grades are typically used to score a nursing home's rehabilitation services In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
The last area we assessed was nursing. We gave this nursing home a decent score in this category, with a B-. Although this was not on par with a few of its other grades, it is nevertheless a middle of the pack score. In computing our nursing grades, we weigh both staffing levels and the skill levels of the nurses. This place averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fountains at Mill Cove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 2.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 94.94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fountains at Mill Cove, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Jacksonville, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jacksonville, Florida has 30 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hospital JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away3625 University Blvd S Jacksonville Florida 32216Proprietary(904) 702-6111
- Ascension St Vincent's SouthsideAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away4201 Belfort Rd Jacksonville Florida 32216Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 296-3700
- Uf Health JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.35 miles away655 W 8th St Jacksonville Florida 32209Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 244-0411
- Baptist Medical Center JacksonvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.37 miles away800 Prudential Dr Jacksonville Florida 32207Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 202-2000
- Mayo ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away4500 San Pablo Rd Jacksonville Florida 32224Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 953-2000
- Ascension St Vincent's RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 8.99 miles away1 Shircliff Way Jacksonville Florida 32204Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 308-7300
- Baptist Medical Center - BeachesAcute Care Hospitals 9.27 miles away1350 13th Ave S Jacksonville Beach Florida 32250Voluntary non-profit - Private(904) 247-2900
- Nh JacksonvilleAcute Care - Department of Defense 12.12 miles away2080 Child Street Jacksonville Florida 32212Department of Defense(904) 542-7300
- Regency Dialysis Center0.6 miles away9535 Regency Square Blvd Jacksonville Florida 32225CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 725-0526
- Fresenius Kidney Care Regency Dialysis1.4 miles away1211 St Johns Bluff Rd North Jacksonville Florida 32225Dialysis Stations: 13 (904) 565-9100
- Arlington Dialysis Center2.22 miles away7645 Merrill Rd #204 Jacksonville Florida 32277Dialysis Stations: 20 (904) 744-6130
- Bma - Saint Johns3.02 miles away3132 Saint Johns Bluff Rd S Jacksonville Florida 32246Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 641-0806
- Jacksonville Arlington Dialysis4.25 miles away929 University Blvd N Jacksonville Florida 32211Dialysis Stations: 16 (904) 743-1689
- Memorial Plaza Dialysis4.79 miles away3901 University Blvd S #111 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 18 (904) 731-0247
- Kidney Kare of Jacksonville, Inc5.82 miles away4168 Southpoint Parkway Suite 103 Jacksonville Florida 32216Dialysis Stations: 8 (904) 332-8004
- Dialysis Clinic Inc of Southpoint6.05 miles away11705 San Jose Blvd Suite 100 Jacksonville Florida 32223CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (904) 296-6362