Brookdale Alamo Heights is a small nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. Featuring an overall grade of B+, we found this facility to be ranked among the fifteen highest rated facilities nursing homes in San Antonio. An overall grade in this range is a strong indicator of a very good facility. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of most people. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Brookdale Alamo Heights
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this nursing home really excelled in our short-term care category, where it received an A. Few facilities fared better in this category. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Building on its impressive resume, this place also excelled in the category of nursing. We awarded it a grade of B+ for that category. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Brookdale Alamo Heights?
This facility received a good score in the area of inspections as well. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection ratings are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated proved to be this facility's worst area. However, even in its weakest link we still gave it a respectable grade of B- in our long-term care category. Our long-term care grades are more critical for those requiring more conventional services related to activities of daily living. Once we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brookdale Alamo Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which experienced UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 4.66% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 94.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brookdale Alamo Heights, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.15 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.03 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center1.81 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Marymount Dialysis Center3.48 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Fmc - Alamo City Dialysis4.18 miles away805 Camden St San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 527-1308
- Downtown San Antonio Dialysis4.19 miles away615 East Quincy St. San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 222-1260
- Rivercenter Dialysis4.21 miles away1123 N. Main Street Suite 150 San Antonio Texas 78212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 270-7887
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.95 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center5.01 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201
- Christus Childrens Kidney Center5.02 miles away333 North Santa Rosa Street F-2651 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 704-4854