Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights is a small nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. Featuring an overall grade of B+, we found this facility to be ranked among the highest rated facilities in the city. Overall scores in this range are a strong indication of a very solid facility. Based on our ratings, this place looks like a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this place didn't have any poor grades in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned an A. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Our nursing grade is mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights?
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it excelled in inspections, with a grade of B in that category. It performed better than most nursing homes in this area. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care. In this area, we gave this facility a solid grade of B-. This is this nursing home's least impressive area. Our long-term care grade is often used to grade a facility's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.15 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.03 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center1.81 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Marymount Dialysis Center3.48 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Fmc - Alamo City Dialysis4.18 miles away805 Camden St San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 527-1308
- Downtown San Antonio Dialysis4.19 miles away615 East Quincy St. San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 222-1260
- Rivercenter Dialysis4.21 miles away1123 N. Main Street Suite 150 San Antonio Texas 78212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 270-7887
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.95 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center5.01 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201
- Christus Childrens Kidney Center5.02 miles away333 North Santa Rosa Street F-2651 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 704-4854