Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights is a small nursing home located in San Antonio, Texas. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of A-, resulting in it being one of the five best facilities in San Antonio. Based on our analysis, this place is simply as good as it gets. We also gave this facility impressive scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Antonio senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home received a first-rate nursing score. We gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Texas in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Among its many high-end scores, this facility received a strong short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it a score of A in that category. Our short-term care scores are probably most critical for those in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights?
This facility earned a B for its inspections grade. This is an above average score in this category. Inspection grades are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a B. Believe it or not, this was this facility's least impressive category. A facility is doing something right when their lowest score still outperforms most other facilities. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 4.84% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Juniper Village at Lincoln Heights, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 29 other nursing homes
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 4.15 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 5.03 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.19 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center1.81 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Marymount Dialysis Center3.48 miles away2391 Ne Loop 410 Suite #211 San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 646-8788
- Fmc - Alamo City Dialysis4.18 miles away805 Camden St San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (210) 527-1308
- Downtown San Antonio Dialysis4.19 miles away615 East Quincy St. San Antonio Texas 78215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 222-1260
- Rivercenter Dialysis4.21 miles away1123 N. Main Street Suite 150 San Antonio Texas 78212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 270-7887
- Us Renal Care Houston Street Dialysis4.95 miles away2011 E. Houston, Suite 102d San Antonio Texas 78202CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (210) 225-0004
- Kirby Kidney Disease Center5.01 miles away4653 Binz Engleman Road Suite #2 San Antonio Texas 78219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (210) 661-0201
- Christus Childrens Kidney Center5.02 miles away333 North Santa Rosa Street F-2651 San Antonio Texas 78207Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 704-4854