Bronxcare Special Care Center is a very-large non-profit facility in Bronx, New York. With an overall grade of B, this appears to be a fine option. As a matter of fact, this nursing home turned out to be one of the top fifteen facilities in the city. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Bronxcare Special Care Center
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's quality category scores came in the area of long-term care. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 82.229965 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we were hoping for. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bronxcare Special Care Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below average. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. Although this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed very well in this subcategory. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care. For that category, we awarded this nursing home a C. Our short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bronxcare Special Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bronxcare Special Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.02 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- New York Renal Associates0.23 miles away3468 Park Avenue Bronx New York 10456CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 401-2836
- Newtown Dialysis Center, Inc.0.4 miles away1160 Teller Avenue Bronx New York 10456Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 215-4355
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.03 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.05 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.05 miles away931 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10459Dialysis Stations: 36 (718) 378-0921
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center1.21 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center1.21 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Knickerbocker Dialysis1.28 miles away459 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10455Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 585-4951