Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. This facility is a lower end facility. A score in this range suggests we found a few red flags. Keep in mind that Bronx received a city grade of B-, so should consider some other options in the city as well. Nevertheless, this nursing home did just fine in our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2175 Quarry Rd,
Bronx NY 10457
95.37% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this was still a relatively favorable report.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next best category was long-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the facility didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 90.16641 percent of its patients. This is pretty significantly less than the national average. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Unfortunately, we gave this facility an F for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is an abysmal grade. With our short-term care category, we endeavor to create a valuable measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Given its poor rating in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this facility offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 91.26% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bronx Gardens Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.09 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Englewood Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.29 miles away350 Engle St Englewood New Jersey 07631Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 894-3000
- St. Barnabas Hospital Opd Dialysis Center0.11 miles away4451 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (718) 960-3860
- Davita Mount Hope Dialysis Center0.56 miles away1940 Webster Avenue 2nd Floor Bronx New York 10457Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 901-9122
- Davita South Bronx Dialysis Center0.56 miles away1940 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 299-9212
- Grand Concourse Dialysis Facility1.06 miles away1780 Grand Concourse Bronx New York 10457CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 583-1800
- Bronx River Nephro Care at the Plaza Rehab & Nursing Center1.26 miles away100 West Kingsbridge Road Bronx New York 10468Dialysis Stations: 15 (347) 982-2420
- Davita Allerton Dialysis1.51 miles away2554 White Plains Rd Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 231-1285
- Davita Bedford Park Dialysis Center1.54 miles away3119 Webster Avenue Bronx New York 10467CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 920-1530
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.58 miles away1490 Macombs Road Bronx New York 10452Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 588-2347