Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care is a large facility located in Bronx, New York. This is a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Bronx, which is a B-. The best part of this facility's report card is its stellar inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1010 Underhill Ave,
Bronx NY 10472
99.1% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we awarded this nursing home an A+ for its inspection grade. This score is far better than its overall rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a positive long-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it a grade of B in this area, which is one of our better. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 78.36676 percent of its patients, which is slightly less than we expected. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care?
Next we looked at nursing grades, where this nursing home received an F, which is a rock bottom grade. This area was definitely not a strength for this facility. The nursing score is based on numerous subcategories. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our fourth category, this nursing home did not fare well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is this facility's weakest category grade. Our short-term care scores are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Considering its abysmal score in this category, we weren't surprised to learn this place offers far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis0.02 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Davita Soundview Dialysis Center0.65 miles away1622-24 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10473CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 861-2334
- Davita Bronx River Dialysis1.25 miles away1616 Bronxdale Avenue Bronx New York 10462CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (718) 430-9800
- Pelham Parkway Dialysis Center1.62 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bldg 5 Dialysis Center Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 409-1909
- Waters Place Dialysis Center1.67 miles away1733 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 822-1968
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.72 miles away931 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10459Dialysis Stations: 36 (718) 378-0921
- Fms-Morris Park1.86 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Fms-Eastchester1.87 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470