Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care is a large facility located in Bronx, New York. This is a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Bronx, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its stellar inspection reports. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bronx senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best grades in this category with an A+. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category scores was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 88.63955 percent of its residents, which is a few points below what we expected. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care?
Next we wanted to quickly point out one of this facility's major weaknesses. In the area of nursing care, we gave this nursing home a lowly grade of F. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we look at the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's worst category is short-term care, which is the final area we looked at. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this area. Even with multiple decent scores in other categories, this score is still of a concern so we would like to to make a note of it. Short-term care grades are generally employed to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. With a grade this poor for this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this place was well below average in many staffing areas we assess. The facility supplied far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.6 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 6.92% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 2.24% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who have experienced a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 9.35% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 1.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 58.49% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 92.34% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 7.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 6.44% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 6.44% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 8.07% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Bronx Center for Rehabilitation & Health Care, 88.76% of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 14 other nursing homes
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.22 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis0.02 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Davita Soundview Dialysis Center0.65 miles away1622-24 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10473CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 861-2334
- Davita Bronx River Dialysis1.25 miles away1616 Bronxdale Avenue Bronx New York 10462CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (718) 430-9800
- Pelham Parkway Dialysis Center1.62 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bldg 5 Dialysis Center Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 409-1909
- Waters Place Dialysis Center1.67 miles away1733 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 822-1968
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.1.72 miles away931 Bruckner Blvd Bronx New York 10459Dialysis Stations: 36 (718) 378-0921
- Fms-Morris Park1.86 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255
- Fms-Eastchester1.87 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470